- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after excited mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
Six of the best as Coppinger claims another SA title
- Updated: June 13, 2015
Steve Coppinger collected his sixth national squash championships in eight final appearances after he coasted though the final against defending champion Shaun le Roux in straight games (11-3 11-5 12-10) at the Wanderers Club, Johannesburg on Friday evening.
In the women’s final, Western Province’s Alexandra Fuller won her first senior national title, ousting top seeded Cheyna Tucker 3-11 11-4 12-10 11-2.
As often happens the finals fizzled into two quiet scrappy encounters after some exhilirating semi-final action the previous day.
Ranked 17th in the world, Coppinger was man on a mission and Le Roux seemed slow off the mark.
Coppinger raced through the first two games and it was only in the third game that some spark appeared in Le Roux’s game as he saved three match points. But Coppinger gained the upper hand again and rattled off the next two points for the match and the title.
Tucker, who had a hard -hitting encounter with Elani Landman in her semi-final, edging through 14-12 in the decider, took control in the first game, running up a 8-2 lead and clinching it 11-2.
But thereafter the spark fizzled as she lost the second 4-11.
From five-all in the third game some long rallies ensued but unforced errors by Tucker allowed Fuller to take the game 12-10 and thereafter it was one-way traffic for Fuller who dropped only a further two points in winning the game 11-2.
Final day results
Final: *1 Steve Coppinger bt *2 Shaun le Roux 11-3 11-5 12-10, Plate: A Martin bt L Kuhn 11-6 11-4 11-13 11-2, Qualifying Plate 2: M Spagnoletti bt C Ndbele 7-11 11-7 11-6 4-1111-7.
Final: *2 Alexandra Fuller bt *1 Cheyna Tucker 3-11 11-4 12-10 11-2: 2nd Plate: Lume Landman bt Danielle van Niekerk 11-6 11-4 11-3, 1st Plate: Tayla Diepenbroek bt Metja Mohohlo 11-4 11-4 11-6
Picture of Coppinger and Fuller courtesy of Wanderers Squash