- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
Six of the best as Coppinger claims another SA title
- Updated: June 13, 2015
Steve Coppinger collected his sixth national squash championships in eight final appearances after he coasted though the final against defending champion Shaun le Roux in straight games (11-3 11-5 12-10) at the Wanderers Club, Johannesburg on Friday evening.
In the women’s final, Western Province’s Alexandra Fuller won her first senior national title, ousting top seeded Cheyna Tucker 3-11 11-4 12-10 11-2.
As often happens the finals fizzled into two quiet scrappy encounters after some exhilirating semi-final action the previous day.
Ranked 17th in the world, Coppinger was man on a mission and Le Roux seemed slow off the mark.
Coppinger raced through the first two games and it was only in the third game that some spark appeared in Le Roux’s game as he saved three match points. But Coppinger gained the upper hand again and rattled off the next two points for the match and the title.
Tucker, who had a hard -hitting encounter with Elani Landman in her semi-final, edging through 14-12 in the decider, took control in the first game, running up a 8-2 lead and clinching it 11-2.
But thereafter the spark fizzled as she lost the second 4-11.
From five-all in the third game some long rallies ensued but unforced errors by Tucker allowed Fuller to take the game 12-10 and thereafter it was one-way traffic for Fuller who dropped only a further two points in winning the game 11-2.
Final day results
Final: *1 Steve Coppinger bt *2 Shaun le Roux 11-3 11-5 12-10, Plate: A Martin bt L Kuhn 11-6 11-4 11-13 11-2, Qualifying Plate 2: M Spagnoletti bt C Ndbele 7-11 11-7 11-6 4-1111-7.
Final: *2 Alexandra Fuller bt *1 Cheyna Tucker 3-11 11-4 12-10 11-2: 2nd Plate: Lume Landman bt Danielle van Niekerk 11-6 11-4 11-3, 1st Plate: Tayla Diepenbroek bt Metja Mohohlo 11-4 11-4 11-6
Picture of Coppinger and Fuller courtesy of Wanderers Squash