- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
Proteas down the hosts in European Championships
- Updated: May 16, 2015
South African won the third match of their European Netball Championships in Belfast, Northern Ireland on Friday, writes Mark Etheridge.
After beating Scotland 45-34 in their opening encounter, the Proteas then lost 69-33 to England, the world’s top ranked team.
But on Friday they bounced back to beat host nation Northern Ireland 57-47.
After a closely fought first quarter which saw SA leading just 14-11, Northern Ireland pulled back to lead 25-24 at halftime. The third quarter saw SA outscoring their rivals to the tune of 17-11 and it was 41-36 to SA.
There was more of the same in the final quarter as SA added another 16 goals to their opponents’ 11.
Next up for coach Bennie Saayman’s side are Wales on Saturday night and Trinidad and Tobago on Sunday morning.