- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
Proteas down the hosts in European Championships
- Updated: May 16, 2015
South African won the third match of their European Netball Championships in Belfast, Northern Ireland on Friday, writes Mark Etheridge.
After beating Scotland 45-34 in their opening encounter, the Proteas then lost 69-33 to England, the world’s top ranked team.
But on Friday they bounced back to beat host nation Northern Ireland 57-47.
After a closely fought first quarter which saw SA leading just 14-11, Northern Ireland pulled back to lead 25-24 at halftime. The third quarter saw SA outscoring their rivals to the tune of 17-11 and it was 41-36 to SA.
There was more of the same in the final quarter as SA added another 16 goals to their opponents’ 11.
Next up for coach Bennie Saayman’s side are Wales on Saturday night and Trinidad and Tobago on Sunday morning.