- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Proteas down the hosts in European Championships
- Updated: May 16, 2015
South African won the third match of their European Netball Championships in Belfast, Northern Ireland on Friday, writes Mark Etheridge.
After beating Scotland 45-34 in their opening encounter, the Proteas then lost 69-33 to England, the world’s top ranked team.
But on Friday they bounced back to beat host nation Northern Ireland 57-47.
After a closely fought first quarter which saw SA leading just 14-11, Northern Ireland pulled back to lead 25-24 at halftime. The third quarter saw SA outscoring their rivals to the tune of 17-11 and it was 41-36 to SA.
There was more of the same in the final quarter as SA added another 16 goals to their opponents’ 11.
Next up for coach Bennie Saayman’s side are Wales on Saturday night and Trinidad and Tobago on Sunday morning.