- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Victory and defeat for Protea netballers in Europe
- Updated: May 15, 2015
The Proteas netball side had a victory and a defeat on the opening day of the European Championships in Belfast, Northern Ireland on Thursday.
In their first fixture, they beat Scotland 45-36.
They then came up the world’s top-ranked side England and went down 33-69. The first quarter saw the English leading 18-9 and at halftime they’d extended that lead to 33-15.
The third quarter came and went with England still ahead 47-24. It was in the final quarter that England pulled away, adding 22 points while the Proteas could only reply with seven of their own.
Next up for coach Bennie Saayman’s team are the host national Northern Ireland at 7.30pm South African time.