- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
Aerobic trio get top 10 finish at World Cup event
- Updated: May 5, 2015
South Africa’s gymnasts have once again held their head high with a top 10 finish at the 2015 Aerobic World Cup in Borovets, Bulgaria this week.
The trio of Wilson Mafona, Dominique Mann and Terence Ledwaba sealed seventh post in the senior trio category, excellent going for a combination that has only started training together in the last three years.
Having qualified in eighth spot with a score of 17.500, the trio improved both position and score in the finals, to reach seventh place with a score of 17.655.
The event also saw Mafona and Ledwaba also compete in the Individual Male Category.
They posted places of 18th (18.150) and 19th (16.800) respectively against very strong international competition. It was not Mafona’s best performance in the Individual Category, with his best result a placing of 16th and score of 20.125 having being attained at the 2014 Aerobic Gymnastics World Championships in July.
This result saw him place as top Africa finisher on the continent. The Aerobic World Championships takes place every second year.
Moving forward and Mafona in the Individual Male category, together with this senior trio, all aim to be medal contenders for Team South Africa at the African Games in Brazzaville, Congo, set to take place in September.
Picture courtesy of FIG