- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
500-Day Countdown to 2016 Rio Paralympic Games
- Updated: April 25, 2015
Sunday, 26 April marks exactly 500 days to go before the commencement of the world’s biggest multi-coded sporting spectacle for people with disability, the 2016 Paralympic Games, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The Rio 2016 Paralympic Games will be held from 7-18 September 2016. Around 4,350 athletes from more than 160 countries will travel to Rio to compete in 526 medal events in 22 different sports.
Canoeing and Triathlon will be included in the Games for the first time in Rio and each sport will stage six medal events – evenly split between male and female athletes – whilst the existing 20 summer sports will feature no less medal events than in London.
Says SASCOC CEO, Mr Tubby Reddy: “SASCOC is working around the clock to ensure that our athletes are well prepared to take on the world at this prestigious event. Among our strategies to fulfill this obligation is sending our athletes to Grand Prix events and other international competitions in over nine countries to ensure that they prepare themselves for the 2015 World Championships to be held later this year.
‘In addition, the international competitions also help them to gain international exposure and allows them the opportunity to adjust their performance,” concluded Mr Reddy.
Dr Frank Dick, SASCOC’s sport coaching consultant and former director of coaching for UK Athletics, is also holding six-weekly meetings with Team SA Paralympians and their coaches to assess progress so that if there are any grey areas they can be adjusted on time.