- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
500-Day milestone for 2016 Rio Olympic Games
- Updated: March 24, 2015
Tuesday, 24 March marks exactly 500 days to go before the world’s biggest multi-coded sporting spectacle, the 2016 Olympic Games, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The opening ceremony of the Games will take place on 5 August and will run for just over two weeks before ending on August 21.
Already SASCOC has made positive strides in ensuring that our athletes are well prepared for the magnificent event in our sporting calendar. SASCOC has recently secured the services of Dr Frank Dick, former director of coaching for UK Athletics and a corporate sport and coaching consultant to assist with preparations for Rio amongst other strategies.
Says SASCOC CEO, Tubby Reddy, “The Olympic year of 2016 is fast approaching. We are therefore in the process of investing in our sports stars and hopefully we will reap some of those rewards in Rio.
“We have had our second round of one on one meetings with OPEX athletes and National Federations. At the moment we have finalised the Selection criteria to ensure that we select our top athletes who will represent South Africa. We have circulated the relevant selection policy documents each National Federation for them to sign and once that process is completed, we will upload the information on our website and advise journalists accordingly.
“This 500-day milestone just reminds us of our obligations to keep on working,”
A total of approximately 28 sports across the alphabetic spectrum, from archery to wrestling will be contested during the 2016 Olympic Games.