- Championship Records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Durban Committee confident ahead of Lodging Bid in London
- Updated: February 25, 2015
The City of Durban Bid Committee is confident that its presentation to the Executive Board of the Commonwealth Federation on 2 March 2015 will leave no doubt in their minds that Durban is well suited to host the Commonwealth Games in 2022.
On the eve of the Bid Committee’s departure to London, Bid Committee Chairperson, Mr Mark Alexander, said: “ We have put together an outstanding Bid book that not only showcases the City’s world-class facilities, but also demonstrates our capacity to host global events.”
“Our warm African hospitality, vibrant cultural diversity, spectacular scenery and unparalleled facilities, embodied in the magnificent Moses Mabhida stadium, are all the characteristics required for a successful Games”, Mr Alexander added.
The Durban Bid Committee delegation will comprise the Minister of Sport and Recreation, Honourable Fikile Mbalula, Mayor of Durban, Cllr James Nxumalo, the Premier of Kwazulu Natal, Senzo Mchunu and MECs from the Province, as well as prominent business people and sports ambassadors, Cameron van der Burgh and Khotso Mokoena.
Even though the City of Edmonton, which was competing with Durban, had earlier withdrawn from the bid process, Durban has to still follow due process in officially lodging its Bid book with the Commonwealth Games Federation.
“As the Bid Committee for the City of Durban, we are required to follow due process and lodge our bid with the Commonwealth Games Federation. The CGF will still have to make an assessment of our Bid book which will subsequently lead to site visits of the facilities in Durban”, said Mr Tubby Reddy, CEO of the Bid Committee.
Mr Reddy further stated: “The bid lodgement on 2 March 2015, is just the first step in a long journey in bringing the Games to Durban. With the support of all South Africans, we are confident that this journey will be a successful one”.
25 February 2015
Cell: 0823006338 www.durban-2022.com