- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
SA’s Klaasen makes another doubles final in the US
- Updated: February 24, 2015
South Africa’s top doubles tennis player, Raven Klassen’s rich vein of form continues as he reached the final of the Delray Beach Open in Florida, writes Mark Etheridge.
Klaasen and veteran Indian team-mate Leander Paes went down to the top-seeded Bryan Brothers, Bob and Bryan in a humdinger of a final.
The final score was 6-3 3-6 10-6 in favour of the Americans.
Encouraging for Klaasen and Paes was the fact that they didn’t drop a set en route to the final.
It’s now the third final that the duo have reached this year, the others being the Chennai Open in India and then the Heineken Open in Auckland, New Zealand which they won.
They each banked $7,090 for reaching the final.
Despite their progress, Klaasen’s doubles ranking remained unchanged at No29 on the ATP rankings list.
‘Tough loss today in Delray Beach, but great tourney and had fun this week. Now off to Dubai and get back at it!! Thanks for the support,’ said Klaasen on social media after the week’s action.
In Dubai they’ll take on qualifiers Jamie Murray of Britain and John Peers (Australia) in the first round. Should they get through that first-rounder they’ll face fourth seeds Rohan Bupanna (India) and Daniel Nestor (Canada).
Delray Beach is a happy hunting ground for South Africans, the country’s No1 seed Kevin Anderson having won his second ATP singles title at that venue in 2012.
The Bryan’s victory means they’ve now won 104 career doubles titles, and the Delray Beach victory was their fourth at the Florida event.