- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
Track ace Olivier posts solid start to his 2015 season
- Updated: February 20, 2015
Leading South African 800-metre runner Andre Olivier has opened his 2015 season with fourth spot at an indoor event in Sweden, writes Mark Etheridge.
The Potchefstroom powerhouse ran a time of 1min 46.04sec at the DX-Galan meeting in Stockholm.
Race winner was Musaeb Balla of Qatar who clocked 1:45.48 after an impressive bit of front running. European champion Adam Kszczot was second in 1:45.77 with Polish counterpart Marcin Lewandowski hard on his hells, just 0.01sec back.
Olivier, the only South African athlete in action in Stockholm, told Road to Rio 2016. ‘I’m happy with my race today, the time was good but fourth place? Hmmmmm, I think I could have done a bit better.
‘I started very fast but it actually felt so easy, although the last 150m I felt that it was maybe bit too fast.
‘Of course it was my first race of the year, without any specific 800m training so I can be happy with 1:46.04
‘Now it’s Birmingham and I think I’ll do faster and better there.’
Picture of Olivier courtesy of www.iaaf.org