- Strauss hoping title defence will spark return to form
- Defending champ Venter makes his SA senior team debut
- Singh shoots Amajita to victory against Cameroon
- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
Track ace Olivier posts solid start to his 2015 season
- Updated: February 20, 2015
Leading South African 800-metre runner Andre Olivier has opened his 2015 season with fourth spot at an indoor event in Sweden, writes Mark Etheridge.
The Potchefstroom powerhouse ran a time of 1min 46.04sec at the DX-Galan meeting in Stockholm.
Race winner was Musaeb Balla of Qatar who clocked 1:45.48 after an impressive bit of front running. European champion Adam Kszczot was second in 1:45.77 with Polish counterpart Marcin Lewandowski hard on his hells, just 0.01sec back.
Olivier, the only South African athlete in action in Stockholm, told Road to Rio 2016. ‘I’m happy with my race today, the time was good but fourth place? Hmmmmm, I think I could have done a bit better.
‘I started very fast but it actually felt so easy, although the last 150m I felt that it was maybe bit too fast.
‘Of course it was my first race of the year, without any specific 800m training so I can be happy with 1:46.04
‘Now it’s Birmingham and I think I’ll do faster and better there.’
Picture of Olivier courtesy of www.iaaf.org