- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
- Local caddie bags big bonus after Storm’s win
- Storm stays calm as he holds off McIlroy to win SA Open
- Productive camp for Banyana ahead of French clash
- Storm hits last round of SA Open with three-stroke lead
- SA athletics already have Tokyo 2020 on their mind
- Storm leads suspended Open as McIlroy suffers setback
- Western Cape gears up for national championships
- Horne and Fisher upstage world No2 at SA Open
- Selepe set to make history at Davis Cup tie
Track ace Olivier posts solid start to his 2015 season
- Updated: February 20, 2015
Leading South African 800-metre runner Andre Olivier has opened his 2015 season with fourth spot at an indoor event in Sweden, writes Mark Etheridge.
The Potchefstroom powerhouse ran a time of 1min 46.04sec at the DX-Galan meeting in Stockholm.
Race winner was Musaeb Balla of Qatar who clocked 1:45.48 after an impressive bit of front running. European champion Adam Kszczot was second in 1:45.77 with Polish counterpart Marcin Lewandowski hard on his hells, just 0.01sec back.
Olivier, the only South African athlete in action in Stockholm, told Road to Rio 2016. ‘I’m happy with my race today, the time was good but fourth place? Hmmmmm, I think I could have done a bit better.
‘I started very fast but it actually felt so easy, although the last 150m I felt that it was maybe bit too fast.
‘Of course it was my first race of the year, without any specific 800m training so I can be happy with 1:46.04
‘Now it’s Birmingham and I think I’ll do faster and better there.’
Picture of Olivier courtesy of www.iaaf.org