- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
- McGuigan also equals course record at Zim Open
- Fisher fires course record 63 to lead by four in Harare
- Cele looking to do a job for Amajita at World Cup
- Simbine sets the pace with sub-10sec 100m victory
- Indigenous Games to be showcased at Arnold Classic Africa
- Olympian BMX ace Dodd in fine form at NAG series
- Banyana’s Mgcoyi picking up valuable skills in Germany
- Quick-starting Hugo holds one-shot lead in Harare
Olivier gets season up and running in Stockholm
- Updated: February 19, 2015
Commonwealth bronze medallist Andre Olivier makes his season debut in Stockholm, Sweden on Thursday night, writes Mark Etheridge.
The 800-metre race will be the first of three planned indoor events as his season gets into swing, in this World Championships year.
Running against the tall Potchefstroom athlete in the XL-Galan event will be the Polish duo of Adam Kszczot and Marcin Lewandowski while fellow Africans Timothy Kitum (Kenya) and Musaeb Balla (Qatar) are also in the line-up.
Also there is world junior bronze medallist Andreas Almgren from the host nation.
And Olivier has no great expectations as his season starts: ‘I just want to enjoy tonight… I did not prepare for these three races indoors. We have our mind on World Championships. But training has been going really well so we are excited. I’m injury free so no complaints,’ he told Road to Rio 2016.
‘I’ll run two 800m events as well as a 1000m in Metz, France. This will only be my third indoor race ever, but I’m very excited – indoors is just so nice.
‘For sure it’s very different but for me its fun, I really enjoy it and the pressure isn’t so high.’