- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
SA’s Montgomery wins tennis award in US
- Updated: February 13, 2015
Rising SA tennis star Wayne Montgomery has been named Southeastern (SEC) tennis freshman of the week in the United States.
The Somerset West youngster, is currently a student at the University of Georgia and received the award after an excellent performance against Georgia Tech.
Montgomery won his first career match at No1 to help the fourth-ranked Bulldogs defeat Georgia Tech 4-3. His 6-3 6-2 victory over No49 Nathan Rakitt was his seventh win against a ranked opponent and gave Georgia their first team point in the victory over Tech. Montgomery is 21-4 in his freshman campaign and climbed to No17 in this week’s Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings.
Montgomery and the fourth-ranked Bulldogs will take on No15 Columbia in the first round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships on Friday.
Meanwhile, South Africa’s top-ranked doubles player has lost in the first round of the ABN AMRO tournament in Rotterdam and Netherlands.
Teamed up with Leander Paes, Klaasen went down to Rohan Bopanna, like Paes also from India, and Daniel Nestor of Canada. The tournament’s fourth seeds won 6-2 6-3.
Picture of Montgomery courtesy of Boland Tennis