- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
- Captain Terblanche ready to rock the Summer Series
- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
SA’s Montgomery wins tennis award in US
- Updated: February 13, 2015
Rising SA tennis star Wayne Montgomery has been named Southeastern (SEC) tennis freshman of the week in the United States.
The Somerset West youngster, is currently a student at the University of Georgia and received the award after an excellent performance against Georgia Tech.
Montgomery won his first career match at No1 to help the fourth-ranked Bulldogs defeat Georgia Tech 4-3. His 6-3 6-2 victory over No49 Nathan Rakitt was his seventh win against a ranked opponent and gave Georgia their first team point in the victory over Tech. Montgomery is 21-4 in his freshman campaign and climbed to No17 in this week’s Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings.
Montgomery and the fourth-ranked Bulldogs will take on No15 Columbia in the first round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships on Friday.
Meanwhile, South Africa’s top-ranked doubles player has lost in the first round of the ABN AMRO tournament in Rotterdam and Netherlands.
Teamed up with Leander Paes, Klaasen went down to Rohan Bopanna, like Paes also from India, and Daniel Nestor of Canada. The tournament’s fourth seeds won 6-2 6-3.
Picture of Montgomery courtesy of Boland Tennis