- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
Specman joins Blitzboks for Las Vegas leg of Sevens Series
- Updated: February 10, 2015
The Springbok Sevens side have called up wing Rosko Specman in place of the injured Justin Geduld for the next leg of the HSBC Sevens World Series in Las Vegas, United States.
The three-day USA rugby event kicks off on Friday and South Africa are defending champions.
Geduld suffered a hamstring injury at the Wellington Sevens last weekend, where the Blitzboks claimed third spot after a strong finish in their play-off match against Scotland. Specman (Steval Pumas) has one World Series tournament under his belt.
South Africa head the log with 76 points halfway through the nine-tournament World Series and are seven points clear of New Zealand, who moved into second place. The top four sides on the final standings in May will gain automatic entry into the Rio Olympic Games in 2016.
Reflecting on their showing in New Zealand, coach Neil Powell said he and his management team will work hard on the team’s mental preparation during the next few days.
‘We were not as sharp and probably not as mentally focused as we would have liked to be on the first day in Wellington. We did much better on the Saturday and I am glad we finished the tournament with a good win against Scotland in the play-offs (for third place).
‘The guys have to work hard in the next few days to build on the momentum we gained against Scotland,’ said Powell.
South Africa will face hosts USA, Portugal and Japan in the pool stages of the Las Vegas tournament.
Picture of Specman, courtesy of www.rugby365.com