- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
Easy Fed Cup win for South Africa in Estonia
- Updated: February 5, 2015
South Africa have eclipsed Egypt in their first round Fed Cup tie in Tallinn, Estonia, writes Mark Etheridge.
Boosted by the return of top 100-ranked player Chani Scheepers, the South Africans beat their north African opponents 3-0 in the Europe/Africa Zone Group II match.
An All-Africa Games team member for South Africa in 2011, Kempton Park’s Chanel Simmonds got the ball rolling with a 6-0 6-2 victory over Sandra Sami and Scheepers then made things safe as she also posted a straight-sets victory over Ola Abou Zekry (6-0 6-1).
The two other team members, Ilze Hattingh and Michelle Sammons then sealed the tie for team captain Earl Grainger as they combined in the doubles format to beat Samir and Zekry 6-4 6-3 in the last match on the hard-court indoor venue.
South Africa now top Pool A alongside hosts Estonia who beat Bosnia/Herzegovina 3-0 in their tie.
Next up for the South Africans is a match against Estonia at 4pm on Thursday.
Picture of the SA team by Allan Karam (Tennis South Africa)