- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
Easy Fed Cup win for South Africa in Estonia
- Updated: February 5, 2015
South Africa have eclipsed Egypt in their first round Fed Cup tie in Tallinn, Estonia, writes Mark Etheridge.
Boosted by the return of top 100-ranked player Chani Scheepers, the South Africans beat their north African opponents 3-0 in the Europe/Africa Zone Group II match.
An All-Africa Games team member for South Africa in 2011, Kempton Park’s Chanel Simmonds got the ball rolling with a 6-0 6-2 victory over Sandra Sami and Scheepers then made things safe as she also posted a straight-sets victory over Ola Abou Zekry (6-0 6-1).
The two other team members, Ilze Hattingh and Michelle Sammons then sealed the tie for team captain Earl Grainger as they combined in the doubles format to beat Samir and Zekry 6-4 6-3 in the last match on the hard-court indoor venue.
South Africa now top Pool A alongside hosts Estonia who beat Bosnia/Herzegovina 3-0 in their tie.
Next up for the South Africans is a match against Estonia at 4pm on Thursday.
Picture of the SA team by Allan Karam (Tennis South Africa)