- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
- Captain Terblanche ready to rock the Summer Series
- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
Easy Fed Cup win for South Africa in Estonia
- Updated: February 5, 2015
South Africa have eclipsed Egypt in their first round Fed Cup tie in Tallinn, Estonia, writes Mark Etheridge.
Boosted by the return of top 100-ranked player Chani Scheepers, the South Africans beat their north African opponents 3-0 in the Europe/Africa Zone Group II match.
An All-Africa Games team member for South Africa in 2011, Kempton Park’s Chanel Simmonds got the ball rolling with a 6-0 6-2 victory over Sandra Sami and Scheepers then made things safe as she also posted a straight-sets victory over Ola Abou Zekry (6-0 6-1).
The two other team members, Ilze Hattingh and Michelle Sammons then sealed the tie for team captain Earl Grainger as they combined in the doubles format to beat Samir and Zekry 6-4 6-3 in the last match on the hard-court indoor venue.
South Africa now top Pool A alongside hosts Estonia who beat Bosnia/Herzegovina 3-0 in their tie.
Next up for the South Africans is a match against Estonia at 4pm on Thursday.
Picture of the SA team by Allan Karam (Tennis South Africa)