- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
Easy Fed Cup win for South Africa in Estonia
- Updated: February 5, 2015
South Africa have eclipsed Egypt in their first round Fed Cup tie in Tallinn, Estonia, writes Mark Etheridge.
Boosted by the return of top 100-ranked player Chani Scheepers, the South Africans beat their north African opponents 3-0 in the Europe/Africa Zone Group II match.
An All-Africa Games team member for South Africa in 2011, Kempton Park’s Chanel Simmonds got the ball rolling with a 6-0 6-2 victory over Sandra Sami and Scheepers then made things safe as she also posted a straight-sets victory over Ola Abou Zekry (6-0 6-1).
The two other team members, Ilze Hattingh and Michelle Sammons then sealed the tie for team captain Earl Grainger as they combined in the doubles format to beat Samir and Zekry 6-4 6-3 in the last match on the hard-court indoor venue.
South Africa now top Pool A alongside hosts Estonia who beat Bosnia/Herzegovina 3-0 in their tie.
Next up for the South Africans is a match against Estonia at 4pm on Thursday.
Picture of the SA team by Allan Karam (Tennis South Africa)