- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
MTN-Qhubeka plan for Tour de France… in Spain
- Updated: January 19, 2015
Tour de France newbies, MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung continue their maiden Tour preparations with a training camp in Mallorca, Spain.
Last week the outfit received the news that they were one of five new teams to receive an entry into the world’s premier road race – and the first African team to contest the TDF.
Twenty-one of the 23 MTN-Qhubeka riders will get together on the Spanish island, a favoured training ground for endurance athletes the world over with its high quality roads and near-perfect weather.
New riders Matt Goss and Tyler Farrar will both continue their season preparations in Australia.
The Mallorca training camp will be key in preparing the riders for the team’s early season goals as well in order to conduct further product testing. Some fine tuning will also be made to certain performance set ups before the riders embark on their individual race programs.
Said head sports director, Jens Zemke: ‘The training camp in Mallorca is our second come-together and it will be our final booster for the coming season. We have only one week’s time, till we get into our triple programme with the Mallorca Challenge, the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Race and the South African Champs.’
Added Dr Carol Austin (Head of Performance Support and Medical): ‘This year will be a historic year for Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung, and we’re aiming high on a performance level.
‘Training sessions at the camp will test and tune our athletes form to the next level. Teamwork and lead-out training will be key focus areas. Off-the-bike we will be optimising our Cervelo S5 and P5 bike set-ups in consultation with Retul and our equipment partners, so that we’re 100% race ready by 29 January when our season kicks off in Mallorca.’