- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
Jordan’s strike sees Amajimbos draw with Bloemfontein Celtic
- Updated: January 19, 2015
Liam Jordan scored a solo break-away goal as the SA Under-17 football side drew 1-1 with Bloemfontein Celtic in a friendly match at Kaizer Sebothelo Stadium in Botshabelo, Free State at the weekend.
The Amajimbos impressed in the first half as they created many opportunities in front of goal but failed to put the ball into the net. Sibongakonke Mbatha, alongside Jordan, created many opportunities in the midfield although the striking pair could not punish the hosts.
A few minutes before half-time the industrious Jordan took advantage of a floating ball in the Celtic box, and opened the scoring for Amajimbos.
Early into the second half Notha Ngcobo missed a perfect opportunity to put the national squad 2-0 up, when the Celtic keeper was caught off his line, but his rising shot went over the cross bar.
Amajimbos almost found themselves in trouble when goalkeeper Mondli Mpoto missed the ball completely after he rushed off this goal line but was saved by his defenders who cleared the danger.
Celtic came back strongly in the second half looking for the equaliser but the Amajimbos defence stood firm, thwarting all Celtic attempts.
Coach Molefi Ntseki made a double substitution in the 66th minute when Reeve Frosler and Luvuyo Mkhatshana came on for Sibongakonke Mbatha and Edwin Sekhwama to add some punch to his tiring strike force but it was Celtic who equalised when they were awarded a penalty in the 74th minute after Keanu Cupido handled inside the box. Itumeleng Letebele did not make a mistake from the spot to square things up.
Malebogo Modise came on to replace Ngcobo in the 84th minute at leftback as both teams seemed content for a draw.