- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
- Captain Terblanche ready to rock the Summer Series
- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
SA’s Klaasen into final for the second week running
- Updated: January 16, 2015
Saturday’s Heineken Open in New Zealand features Raven Klaasen in a final for the second week running, writes Mark Etheridge.
That after the South African and Indian partner Leander Paes had beaten Brazilian Bruno Soares and Austrian Alexander Peya in Friday’s semi-final.
Seeded second for the tournament, Klaasen and Paes took out the second seeds in three sets, 3-6 6-3 10-4.
That sees them taking on England’s Dominic Inglot and Romania’s Florin Mergea in the final. They had booked their final berth after a marathon semi-final against Brazil’s Marcelo Melo and Belarussian Max Mirnyi. That game went the way of Inglot and Merga 6-4 3-6 14-12.
On paper Klaasen and Paes should have the beating of their unseeded opponents. They boast a combined ATP doubles ranking of 44 compared to Inglot and Mergia (combined ranking of 73).
Last week Klaasen and Paes reached the final of the Chennai Open in India.