- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Amajimbos tackle Nigeria ahead of Niger tournament
- Updated: January 13, 2015
The national Under-17 football team travel to Nigeria on Thursday as they step up their preparations for the 2015 CAF African Youth Championships (AYC) scheduled for Niger next month.
Coach Molefi Ntseki’s Amajimbos are focused on finishing in the top four and qualifying for the World Cup in Chile and want to use the international friendly against Nigeria to fine tune their preparations.
The match against Nigeria will be played at Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna. Kick-off is at 4pm SA time.
The Amajimbos have just over a month left to prepare for their first big CAF competition which might open doors for most of the players’ blossoming careers.
‘We had a good game against Zambia in Lusaka which ended in a 1-1 draw and was very impressed with the boys’ performance. Yes there are areas that still need to be worked on but I am happy with what the boys displayed, more so because we were limited in the number of players that were available for selection.’ said Ntseki.
‘The purpose of going to Nigeria to play a friendly there is, firstly to expose the boys to the type of environment we will be in when we go to Niger and secondly we need to test our tactics against much bigger and physical opponents.’
‘This is going to be a good test but I am relishing the challenge because the Nigerians will give us a good run for our money,’ added Ntseki
The match against Nigeria will be the second friendly match of the year for Amajimbos, with more friendlies still to be played ahead of the 2015 CAF AYC, which kicks off on 14 February.
The Amajimbos are drawn in Group B alongside Cote d’Ivoire; Mali and Cameroon.