- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
Jordan’s strike earns Amajimbos a draw against Zambia
- Updated: January 11, 2015
Amajimbos, the South African men’s Under-17 team, have played to a 1-1 draw against the Junior Chipolopolo at the Nkoloma Stadium, Lusaka, Zambia.
The Zambians put South Africa under a lot of pressure in the first 20 minutes but failed to find the back of the net.
Amajimbos opened the scoring with a beautiful header from Liam Jordan following a well-taken a corner kick.
The South Africans kept the Zambians on the back foot with speedy runs from the midfield. But they found themselves vulnerable at the back allowing the Zambians an opportunity to equalize with a long range shot from Patson Daka.
In the second half the Junior Chipolopolo pressed the South Africans hard but yet again their finishing disappointed. The match ended level and Amajimbos coach Molefi Ntseki said he was happy with the output on the day.
‘We are on track with our preparations for Niger,’ he said. ‘We only had 14 players to choose from today as many are nursing minor injuries, and I am impressed with the boys’ performance. Yes there is still a long way to go before they boys understand what I want from them, but today was very encouraging.’
Ntseki added: ‘We are very glad that Zambia agreed to play us today, for many of the boys they have now seen what will be expected of them at the CAF 2015 African Youth Championships, and as small as they are we have a way of dealing with the physical aspect of the opponent like we did today.’
Amajimbos will return to South Africa on Sunday to continue their preparations for the 2015 AYC. Then they will travel to Abuja, Nigeria for a friendly on Saturday 17 January.