- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
Team SA end Region 5 Games campaign in style
- Updated: December 14, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Team South Africa have wrapped up another hugely successful African Union Region 5 Games here with just Sunday’s closing ceremony to be played out.
After 10 days of frenetic competition over eight sporting codes, the young Under-20 team amassed a total of 123 medals.
That included 64 gold, 35 silver and 24 medals.
And that tally may still be slightly adjusted as final counting and verification takes place at the Command Centre at the local PolyTechnic. Although South Africa will comfortably top the medals table, exact victory margin is still being calculated.
As expected, swimming dominated the medal tally with no less than 57 medals (32 gold, 17 silver and eight bronze).
Athletics were next best with 39 (17, 12, 10) and judo third best with 14.
Basketball was the only code which failed to bring home a medal for the rainbow nation.
The next Region 5 Games will be hosted by Luanda, Angola in 2016.