- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Team SA end Region 5 Games campaign in style
- Updated: December 14, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Team South Africa have wrapped up another hugely successful African Union Region 5 Games here with just Sunday’s closing ceremony to be played out.
After 10 days of frenetic competition over eight sporting codes, the young Under-20 team amassed a total of 123 medals.
That included 64 gold, 35 silver and 24 medals.
And that tally may still be slightly adjusted as final counting and verification takes place at the Command Centre at the local PolyTechnic. Although South Africa will comfortably top the medals table, exact victory margin is still being calculated.
As expected, swimming dominated the medal tally with no less than 57 medals (32 gold, 17 silver and eight bronze).
Athletics were next best with 39 (17, 12, 10) and judo third best with 14.
Basketball was the only code which failed to bring home a medal for the rainbow nation.
The next Region 5 Games will be hosted by Luanda, Angola in 2016.