- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Team SA end Region 5 Games campaign in style
- Updated: December 14, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Team South Africa have wrapped up another hugely successful African Union Region 5 Games here with just Sunday’s closing ceremony to be played out.
After 10 days of frenetic competition over eight sporting codes, the young Under-20 team amassed a total of 123 medals.
That included 64 gold, 35 silver and 24 medals.
And that tally may still be slightly adjusted as final counting and verification takes place at the Command Centre at the local PolyTechnic. Although South Africa will comfortably top the medals table, exact victory margin is still being calculated.
As expected, swimming dominated the medal tally with no less than 57 medals (32 gold, 17 silver and eight bronze).
Athletics were next best with 39 (17, 12, 10) and judo third best with 14.
Basketball was the only code which failed to bring home a medal for the rainbow nation.
The next Region 5 Games will be hosted by Luanda, Angola in 2016.