- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
Team SA end Region 5 Games campaign in style
- Updated: December 14, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Team South Africa have wrapped up another hugely successful African Union Region 5 Games here with just Sunday’s closing ceremony to be played out.
After 10 days of frenetic competition over eight sporting codes, the young Under-20 team amassed a total of 123 medals.
That included 64 gold, 35 silver and 24 medals.
And that tally may still be slightly adjusted as final counting and verification takes place at the Command Centre at the local PolyTechnic. Although South Africa will comfortably top the medals table, exact victory margin is still being calculated.
As expected, swimming dominated the medal tally with no less than 57 medals (32 gold, 17 silver and eight bronze).
Athletics were next best with 39 (17, 12, 10) and judo third best with 14.
Basketball was the only code which failed to bring home a medal for the rainbow nation.
The next Region 5 Games will be hosted by Luanda, Angola in 2016.