- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Swimmers grab 15 medals at Region 5 Games
- Updated: December 10, 2014
South African swimmers won nine gold medals as the aquatics competition got underway at the African Union Region 5 Games in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe on Wednesday.
Jessica Choga reports that the national anthem rang out nine times during the evening’s session of finals.
That saw Team SA bagging a total medal tally of 15 (nine gold, four silver, and two bronze).
Most SA swimmers broke or equalled their own records and a highlight was Rita Naude who broke her own record with a finish time of 3min 55:95sec in the 4X100-metre freestyle, Martin Binedell 56:88 in the men 100m backstroke and Erin Anderson 1:12:43 in the 100m breaststroke, whilst Brenden Crawford equalled his record in the 50m breaststroke with a time of 29:32
Three of the record breakers shared the same sentiments on how happy they were to have performed well and beat their own records and they hope to exceed these records in the next coming three days.
Said head coach, Theo Verster: ‘Today was a great day for us and our swimmers performed exceptionally well. They stepped up and managed to outdo their counterparts. We had six record breaking swimmers and one who equalled the record and that’s a pleasing performance.
‘We are excited about the next competition to come in the coming three days and we look forward to maintain or even exceed the record.’