- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Team South Africa safely in Zim for Region 5 Games
- Updated: December 3, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Team South Africa have arrived here in three waves to do battle in the African Region 5 Games, an event that caters primarily for the Under-20 age group competitors.
The team of around 180 competitors jetted in from Johannesburg in three flights and will compete over eight sporting codes in the Games which start officially on Friday and end on Sunday, 14 December.
They will housed in the Athletes’ Village in Hillside College.
In the squad are two basketball sides, a men’s and women’s line-up.
Managing the women’s side is Lestrina Mathipa and she is quietly confident of the side’s chances.
‘We have a great training camp at Wembley Stadium in Johannesburg last week. We had three days where they had morning and afternoon sessions of two hours each and then on the final day we had an hour-long run-out.
‘We also played a few games against our men’s side which made a big difference. You can see the commitment and passion growing all the time.’
As for their main rivals in the medal stakes. ‘Angola are very definitely the side to beat here,’ she said.