- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
Team South Africa safely in Zim for Region 5 Games
- Updated: December 3, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Team South Africa have arrived here in three waves to do battle in the African Region 5 Games, an event that caters primarily for the Under-20 age group competitors.
The team of around 180 competitors jetted in from Johannesburg in three flights and will compete over eight sporting codes in the Games which start officially on Friday and end on Sunday, 14 December.
They will housed in the Athletes’ Village in Hillside College.
In the squad are two basketball sides, a men’s and women’s line-up.
Managing the women’s side is Lestrina Mathipa and she is quietly confident of the side’s chances.
‘We have a great training camp at Wembley Stadium in Johannesburg last week. We had three days where they had morning and afternoon sessions of two hours each and then on the final day we had an hour-long run-out.
‘We also played a few games against our men’s side which made a big difference. You can see the commitment and passion growing all the time.’
As for their main rivals in the medal stakes. ‘Angola are very definitely the side to beat here,’ she said.