- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
Team South Africa safely in Zim for Region 5 Games
- Updated: December 3, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Team South Africa have arrived here in three waves to do battle in the African Region 5 Games, an event that caters primarily for the Under-20 age group competitors.
The team of around 180 competitors jetted in from Johannesburg in three flights and will compete over eight sporting codes in the Games which start officially on Friday and end on Sunday, 14 December.
They will housed in the Athletes’ Village in Hillside College.
In the squad are two basketball sides, a men’s and women’s line-up.
Managing the women’s side is Lestrina Mathipa and she is quietly confident of the side’s chances.
‘We have a great training camp at Wembley Stadium in Johannesburg last week. We had three days where they had morning and afternoon sessions of two hours each and then on the final day we had an hour-long run-out.
‘We also played a few games against our men’s side which made a big difference. You can see the commitment and passion growing all the time.’
As for their main rivals in the medal stakes. ‘Angola are very definitely the side to beat here,’ she said.