- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Netballers out to defend regional title in Zimbabwe
- Updated: November 24, 2014
South Africa’s netballers will be out to defend their title won at the last African Zone VI Games in Lusaka, Zambia two years ago, writes Mark Etheridge.
This year sees the Games taking place at the new venue of Bulawayo, Zimbabwe and under a new name, the Africa Union Region 5 Games.
A team of 12 girls will represent the green and gold in Zimbabwe.
And one player who knows all about these regional games in Bhongo Ngubeni, the North West player having been part of the SA team in both Lusaka and the previous edition of the Games, in Manzini/Mbabane, Swaziland. These Games will then be her third trip and her experience will be vital in helping the other members of her team.
Nbugeni, pictured above, is recently back from international travel having represented the Proteas in the World Fast5 tournament in New Zealand.
Team-mate Lungile Mthembu was also at the 2010 Games in Zambia.
One thing’s for sure… the netballing crew have many talents. Alicia Puren has provincial colours for netball, action netball, softball and athletics and national colours for three of those codes.
And Phumi Shandu is also multi-talented and ambitious, being a national age-group hockey player with lofty ambitions of becoming a surgeon when she grows up.
Her team-mates will certainly hope that defending their Games title in Bulawayo is just what the doctor ordered.
Picture: Wessel Oosthuizen/SASPA