- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
SA blackball players strike gold at world championships
- Updated: November 21, 2014
South Africa’s top pool players have racked up a successful performance at the World Blackball Championships in Perth, Scotland, writes Mark Etheridge.
A total of 19 countries from Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia took part in the annual event.
In the team events (five players per team), South Africa took medals in the masters category (silver), women’s category (bronze) and junior men (bronze).
In the singles events, South Africa had representation in three of the six events.
There were silver medals for the Western Cape’s Paul Bennet (men), KwaZulu-Natal’s Apsra Panchoo (women) and Free State’s Aden Joseph (Under-18) while Western Cape player Henrich Horsemend took bronze in the same division.
Panchoo was part of Team South Africa at the 2009 World Games in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan.
In the Junior Speed Pool event there was a gold medal for South Africa’s team of three (Horsemend, Joseph and Zander Kriel).
After the tournament, South Africa has no less than 13 players ranked in the world’s top 10. Among them is another World Games player, Nicola Rossouw who was in Colombia last year with the South African team.
Yulan Govender (KZN) No4, Paul Bennett (WC) No5
Nicola Rossouw (GP) No4, Apsra Panchoo (KZN) No9
Henrich Horsemend (WC) No1, Aden Joseph (FS) No2, Hassiem September (WC) No6
Nsovo Mathonsi (GP) No4, Shaun Martheze (WC) No6
Sdumo Appalsamy (KZN) No 4
Alan Broude (GP) No 2, Robbie Grace (GP) No 3, Schalk Mouton (WC) No5