- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
Rudisha wins top Olympic award
- Updated: November 8, 2014
Kenyan 800-metre champion David Rudisha has won the inaugural award from the Association of National Olympic Committees as the best male athlete at the most recent Summer Olympics.
Rudisha won the 800m at the 2012 London Games in a world record time of 1:40min 91sec.
The award for the top female athlete in London went to Chinese table tennis player Li Xiaoxia, who won the singles gold medal.
The top male athlete from the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi was Norwegian biathlete Ole Einar Bjorndalen, who won two gold medals to take his career tally to eight.
The top female athlete from Sochi was Dutch speedskater Ireen Wust, who won two gold medals and three silver.