- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
- Paralympian Ferreira on the mend and targeting nationals
- Hoffman stars but track champs are marred by tragedy
- Fumic, Avancini on the double at Cape Epic
- Poor health can’t stop Dalle Ave breaking new ground
- Zazini blitzes to 400m hurdles world youth best
South Africa take on Turkey in Davis Cup action
- Updated: October 30, 2014
National Davis Cup captain John-Laffnie de Jager has expressed his satisfaction with South Africa’s away tie against Turkey in the opening round of the 2015 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Euro/Africa Zone Group 11 draw.
The draw was conducted at the International Tennis Federation headquarters offices in London on Wednesday.
The tie will take place 6-8 March 2015 and Turkey have home ground advantage. The two countries have never played each other before.
South Africa and Latvia top the seedings for the group.
South African Davis Cup Captain, John Laffnie De Jager said: ‘We are very happy with the draw. It will be a new year with new challenges. Some of our guys have played some futures in Turkey so they will know the conditions. We have a few players that will compete for spots on the team so we will create a healthy and competitive atmosphere in the team.
‘The goal will be to be promoted to group 1 in 2016 but we will focus on one match at a time.”
Seeded nations: 1 South Africa, 2 Latvia, 3 Portugal, 4 Moldova, 5 Bosnia/Herzegovina, 6 Finland, 7 Belarus, 8 Luxembourg
The seeded nations were drawn against the remaining nations: Bulgaria, Hungary, Ireland, Madagascar, Monaco, Morocco, Turkey and Zimbabwe.
Because Bulgaria and Finland have been drawn to meet each other in the first round in both 2013 and 2014, they were drawn in different halves.
The four African nations in Europe/Africa Zone Group II in 2015 according to Davis Cup Regulation 23(c), were placed in different sections of the draw.