- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
South Africa take on Turkey in Davis Cup action
- Updated: October 30, 2014
National Davis Cup captain John-Laffnie de Jager has expressed his satisfaction with South Africa’s away tie against Turkey in the opening round of the 2015 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Euro/Africa Zone Group 11 draw.
The draw was conducted at the International Tennis Federation headquarters offices in London on Wednesday.
The tie will take place 6-8 March 2015 and Turkey have home ground advantage. The two countries have never played each other before.
South Africa and Latvia top the seedings for the group.
South African Davis Cup Captain, John Laffnie De Jager said: ‘We are very happy with the draw. It will be a new year with new challenges. Some of our guys have played some futures in Turkey so they will know the conditions. We have a few players that will compete for spots on the team so we will create a healthy and competitive atmosphere in the team.
‘The goal will be to be promoted to group 1 in 2016 but we will focus on one match at a time.”
Seeded nations: 1 South Africa, 2 Latvia, 3 Portugal, 4 Moldova, 5 Bosnia/Herzegovina, 6 Finland, 7 Belarus, 8 Luxembourg
The seeded nations were drawn against the remaining nations: Bulgaria, Hungary, Ireland, Madagascar, Monaco, Morocco, Turkey and Zimbabwe.
Because Bulgaria and Finland have been drawn to meet each other in the first round in both 2013 and 2014, they were drawn in different halves.
The four African nations in Europe/Africa Zone Group II in 2015 according to Davis Cup Regulation 23(c), were placed in different sections of the draw.