- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
SA women’s indoor side named for Canada
- Updated: October 17, 2014
The South Africa women’s indoor hockey team has been named to take part in a Four Nations tournament in Toronto, Canada from 3-7 December.
SA women’s indoor coach Lennie Botha said Friday that the other teams taking part are Canada, Argentina and the USA.
‘We will play two warm-up games before the Four Nations, which is a round-robin format with playoffs that see one playing two and three playing four,’ said Botha.
‘This is not necessarily the team that will represent South Africa at the Indoor World Cup next year, the Indoor World Cup side will be finalised soon after this team returns from Canada.’
The 2015 Indoor World Cup takes place in Leipzig, Germany from 28 January to 8 February.
Botha said the Four Nations in Canada was an exciting opportunity as never before has a South Africa national women’s indoor side had the opportunity to play in a series overseas in preparation for an Indoor World Cup.
‘We are very grateful to Spar for their support; if it wasn’t for their assistance this tour would not have been possible.’
SA WOMEN’S INDOOR HOCKEY TEAM
Amy Greaves, Celia Evans, Cindy Hack (capt), Eloise Walters, Faye Cooper, Jessica O’Connor, Kara Stella, Kelly Madsen, Shelley Freyer, Taryn de Winnaar (vice-capt), Tracy Martens. Coach: Lennie Botha. Manager: Emma Bray. Video analyst: TJ Smith.
Picture of Kelly Madsen by Stansislas Brochier