- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Blow for Blitzboks as Dippenaar ruled out with injury
- Updated: October 16, 2014
Springbok Sevens utility player Stephan Dippenaar was ruled out of action for up to 12 weeks after he suffered a torn hamstring at the Gold Coast last weekend in Australia.
The midfielder will not be fit for the next two rounds of the HSBC Sevens World Series during December in Dubai and Port Elizabeth.
The Springbok Sevens will break until 27 October when they re-assemble in Stellenbosch. The Dubai Sevens takes place on 5-6 December and will be followed a week later by the Cell C Nelson Mandela Bay SA Sevens. The Blitzboks will play against Wales, Canada and Portugal in Pool D at the Dubai Sevens.
Apart from Dippenaar, several other Blitzboks returned from the Gold Coast nursing injuries.
Nippy playmaker Branco du Preez sustained a hamstring niggle and, depending on how well the injury responds to rest and treatment, should be able to resume training in a few weeks’ time.
Debutant Ruhan Nel, scorer of a superb hat-trick of tries in his first match for the Springbok Sevens against American Samoa, suffered a cracked cheekbone but the injury is unlikely to rule him out of the December tournaments.
Regular captain, Kyle Brown, is due to return to full training in mid-November as he continues his rehabilitation following a traumatic dislocation of his shoulder during the final of the Commonwealth Games in July where the Blitzboks won the gold medal.
Meanwhile, Seabelo Senatla, Justin Geduld (DHL Western Province) and Kwagga Smith (Xerox Golden Lions) will resume their Absa Currie Cup duties this coming weekend. The trio as well as Rosko Specman (Steval Pumas) will return to the Springbok Sevens camp on conclusion of the domestic provincial competition.