- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Ace Proteas netballer to miss series after accident
- Updated: October 14, 2014
SPAR Proteas goal shooter Lenize Potgieter will be sorely missed by her teammates this week, in a two-match SPAR Fast5 series against an Australian invitation team, after being involved in a car accident on Saturday.
Netball South Africa CEO Blanche de la Guerre confirmed on Tuesday that Potgieter, who was part of Team South Africa’s netball team at the Commonwealth Games in Scotland earlier this year, had been withdrawn from the SPAR SA squad while recovering in hospital.
‘The SPAR SA Fast5 team will miss Lenize this week. She is a brilliant up and coming player,’ said NSA CEO Blanche de la Guerre, who visited Potgieter at Montana Hospital in Pretoria on Sunday.
‘We wish her well and hope for a speedy recovery of one of our country’s most talented players.’
Jenny van Dyk, coach of the University of Pretoria team, believed Potgieter had the strength and will to recover in time to represent the country at the Fast5 World Series in Auckland next month.
‘She has a very strong character so I’m not ruling that out,’ Van Dyk said. ‘It was a pretty big accident but she’s a tough cookie.’
Picture: Reg Caldecott