- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
Ace Proteas netballer to miss series after accident
- Updated: October 14, 2014
SPAR Proteas goal shooter Lenize Potgieter will be sorely missed by her teammates this week, in a two-match SPAR Fast5 series against an Australian invitation team, after being involved in a car accident on Saturday.
Netball South Africa CEO Blanche de la Guerre confirmed on Tuesday that Potgieter, who was part of Team South Africa’s netball team at the Commonwealth Games in Scotland earlier this year, had been withdrawn from the SPAR SA squad while recovering in hospital.
‘The SPAR SA Fast5 team will miss Lenize this week. She is a brilliant up and coming player,’ said NSA CEO Blanche de la Guerre, who visited Potgieter at Montana Hospital in Pretoria on Sunday.
‘We wish her well and hope for a speedy recovery of one of our country’s most talented players.’
Jenny van Dyk, coach of the University of Pretoria team, believed Potgieter had the strength and will to recover in time to represent the country at the Fast5 World Series in Auckland next month.
‘She has a very strong character so I’m not ruling that out,’ Van Dyk said. ‘It was a pretty big accident but she’s a tough cookie.’
Picture: Reg Caldecott