- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
Ace Proteas netballer to miss series after accident
- Updated: October 14, 2014
SPAR Proteas goal shooter Lenize Potgieter will be sorely missed by her teammates this week, in a two-match SPAR Fast5 series against an Australian invitation team, after being involved in a car accident on Saturday.
Netball South Africa CEO Blanche de la Guerre confirmed on Tuesday that Potgieter, who was part of Team South Africa’s netball team at the Commonwealth Games in Scotland earlier this year, had been withdrawn from the SPAR SA squad while recovering in hospital.
‘The SPAR SA Fast5 team will miss Lenize this week. She is a brilliant up and coming player,’ said NSA CEO Blanche de la Guerre, who visited Potgieter at Montana Hospital in Pretoria on Sunday.
‘We wish her well and hope for a speedy recovery of one of our country’s most talented players.’
Jenny van Dyk, coach of the University of Pretoria team, believed Potgieter had the strength and will to recover in time to represent the country at the Fast5 World Series in Auckland next month.
‘She has a very strong character so I’m not ruling that out,’ Van Dyk said. ‘It was a pretty big accident but she’s a tough cookie.’
Picture: Reg Caldecott