- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
Hat trick of wins for SA in Australia
- Updated: October 11, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
It was three out of three for South Africa’s Blitzboks sevens rugby team on the opening day of the 2014/2015 IRB Sevens World Series in Gold Coast, Australia on Saturday.
They beat continental counterparts Kenya 45-0 in their last Pool B game, their second whitewash of the day after beating Series newcomers American Samoa 48-0 in their second clash.
They had opened their 2016 Rio Olympics qualifying campaign with a hard-fought 19-12 win over Wales.
The Blitzboks now face host nation Australia in the Cup quarter-final on Sunday.
There were three five-point hat tricks for SA players on the opening day of the tournament.
After debutant Ruhan Nel had got three against American Samoa, it was speedster Seabelo Senatla who got a first half hat trick against Kenya and Steven Hunt matched that with a second-half hat trick.
The biggest concern for Neil Powell’s boys in green was the injury late in the first half of the final game to playmaker Branco du Preez who went off with what looked like an upper calf/lower hamstring problem.
Senatla’s three tries came after a nice inside pass by Werner Kok, a strollover down the left flank and then he rounded off his trio as he ran around his Kenya opponent down the other flank.
That saw the Blitzboks lead 19-0 in the first half.
Kok was first to score in the second half after some good work and good anticipatory work by veteran Frankie Horne had set him up.
Then it was Hunt’s heroics who first scored out left and then got two more in similar fashion as he used his power to scramble over the chalk.