- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
Banyana all set to kickstart their Championship campaign
- Updated: October 9, 2014
South Africa’s Banyana Banyana women’s football side are safely in Windhoek for the 2014 African Women’s Championship exuding high spirits and raring to go ahead of Sunday’s opening match.
The team will be based at Safari Lodge in Windhoek for the duration of the tournament and held their first training session in Namibia on Wednesday afternoon.
Banyana Banyana will take on Cameroon in the opening match of Group B on Sunday, 12 October at the Independence Stadium. Kick-off is 5pm.
‘The team has settled well in Windhoek and we are looking forward to our opening game against Cameroon on Sunday, the ladies are excited. All the preparations we have been doing for the past nine weeks should result in good outcomes, starting with the match on Sunday,’ said skipper Janine Van Wyk.
Vera Pauw’s charges are ready for a tough encounter at this year’s tournament which will also be used as a World Cup qualifier. They are in the same group as their nemesis Ghana, and also with Algeria.
The Sasol-sponsored Banyana side went on a seven-match unbeaten streak in their friendly matches against neighbours Botswana, Tanzania, Cote d I’voire, Zambia and tournament hosts Namibia, all part of the tournament preparation.
After the Cameroon match, their next match will be against Ghana next Wednesday (8pm) and their final group match is against Algeria on Saturday, 18 October (5pm).