- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Banyana all set to kickstart their Championship campaign
- Updated: October 9, 2014
South Africa’s Banyana Banyana women’s football side are safely in Windhoek for the 2014 African Women’s Championship exuding high spirits and raring to go ahead of Sunday’s opening match.
The team will be based at Safari Lodge in Windhoek for the duration of the tournament and held their first training session in Namibia on Wednesday afternoon.
Banyana Banyana will take on Cameroon in the opening match of Group B on Sunday, 12 October at the Independence Stadium. Kick-off is 5pm.
‘The team has settled well in Windhoek and we are looking forward to our opening game against Cameroon on Sunday, the ladies are excited. All the preparations we have been doing for the past nine weeks should result in good outcomes, starting with the match on Sunday,’ said skipper Janine Van Wyk.
Vera Pauw’s charges are ready for a tough encounter at this year’s tournament which will also be used as a World Cup qualifier. They are in the same group as their nemesis Ghana, and also with Algeria.
The Sasol-sponsored Banyana side went on a seven-match unbeaten streak in their friendly matches against neighbours Botswana, Tanzania, Cote d I’voire, Zambia and tournament hosts Namibia, all part of the tournament preparation.
After the Cameroon match, their next match will be against Ghana next Wednesday (8pm) and their final group match is against Algeria on Saturday, 18 October (5pm).