- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
Pasio misses podium in crash-marred women’s race
- Updated: September 28, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
She gave her all but Ashleigh Pasio missed the podium in the elite women’s road race at the UCI Road World Championships in Ponferrada, Spain on Saturday.
The race was marred by a huge crash early into the race, with just two of seven laps done and many a rider had to be ferried off to hospital.
It also saw the field drastically reduced as France’s Pauline Ferrand-Prevot pipped Germanys Lisa Brennauer in the final sprint to the line.
Her time was 3hr 29min 41sec for the 127.4 kilometres of racing.
Pasio ended 20th, just 41sec down and in a group of around 10 riders.
‘Another World Champs done & dusted,’ said Pasio afterwards. ‘Not the result I was looking for, but I’ll be back to fight for the top in 2015! Thanks for all the support!’
Next year’s world championships are in Virginia, USA.
The effect off the crash and gruelling racing can be seen by the fact that 72 riders failed to finish the course.
Among them were Pasio’s SA teammates, An-Li Pretorius and and Heid Dalton.
Picture: Bart Hazen