- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
- Sunshine Classic will see the Chase hotting up
- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
Six more medals for South Africa at World Championships
- Updated: September 26, 2014
The South African veterans and masters added a further six K2 medals to the team haul after another solid day’s racing at conclusion of the Masters Cup that precedes the ICF Canoe Marathon World Championships in Oklahoma City, US.
Lee McGregor and Hilde Lepere wrapped up rare double golds at the event, adding K2 golds to their K1 titles, Lapere with ex-pat South African Margie Bohn, now living in Australia, and McGregor racing with Bruce Gipson.
‘Today was a hard one, very long after our K1 racing the day before,’ said Lapere. ‘We started hard and they kept our pace throughout the whole race.’
Steve Jourdan, who has managed the SA Marathon team for the last 12 years, finally bagged a medal of his own, securing a bronze in the 65-69 year age category with Cape paddler Johan van Rooyen.
‘It was the first time that Johan has ever driven a K2 with a t-bat,’ said Jordan. ‘It all came together in the end and we had a brilliant race. After a decade of managing teams and plenty of fourths to finally have a medal of my own feels very special.
‘Steve was a fantastic engine in the back, not a diesel engine but a Formula One engine!’ said Van Rooyen. Gustav Smook and ex-pat Jan Malherbe, now representing Canada, won gold in the Men’s 45-49 category while Willem van Riet won his second Masters Cup medal with a solid win in the Men’s 70+ K2 race with countryman Mike Howard.
The programme on Friday shifts to the World Championships proper with K1 races in the Under 23 and Junior classes.
MASTERS CUP K2 RACES
K2 Men 65-69
1 Svenning JØrgensen/Peter Patasi DEN/CAN 1hr 33min 21.145sec
2 Chris van den Berg/Richard Venniker SA/SA 1:35:55.969
3 Stephen Jourdan/Johan van Rooyen SA/SA 1:48:17.937
K2 Men >70
1 Willem van Riet/Mike Howard SA/SA 1:48:04.979
K2 Men 60-64
1 Lee McGregor/Bruce Gipson SA/USA 1:25:56.062
2 Shaun Koos/Hermelindo Soto CAN/MEX 1:33:16.176
3 Borisse Prochouinene/Marian Nemec CAN/CAN 1:38:36.428
K2 Men 45-49
1. Gustav Smook/Jan Malherbe SA/CAN
K2 Women 50-54
1 Hilde Lapere/Margi Bohm SA/AUS 1:38:43.611
2 Sonja Gilman/Janet Perry USA/USA 1:46:36.777
Picture: Brett Austen Smith/Gameplan Media