- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Colyn is best of SA trio at UCI Road World championships
- Updated: September 26, 2014
Cathy Colyn was best of the three South African riders in the junior women’s race at UCI Road World Championships in Ponferrada, Spain on Friday, writes Mark Etheridge.
The Paarl-based youngster ended 69th of 85 finishers on the 72.8-kilometre road race course.
She ended 9min 43sec off the pace as Denmark’s Amalie Dideriksen won in 2:02:59 with the first 18 riders being credited with the same time.
Next best was Michelle Benson in 80th spot (+16:21 behind) and last SA rider home was Monique Gerber in 85th spot (16:34 adrift).
Eight riders failed to reach the finish line in a race that was ridden in temperatures of 10 deg Celsius.