- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
SA lifesavers strike gold in France
- Updated: September 21, 2014
South Africa’s lifesavers have already made their mark at the World Championships being held in Montpellier, France, writes Mark Etheridge.
Durban’s Matthew Bouman powered his way to gold in the men’s surfski event and he was joined on the podium by teammate Wade Krieger.
There was also a gold for Cape Town’s Ryle De Morney in the men’s beach sprints and another bronze for Kirsten Flanagan in the women’s board race.
In the tube rescue event the women’s team took ninth spot and the men eighth.
Making up the women’s team were 2013 World Games representatives Megan Stephens, Carmel Bilson and Janke Grobbelaar along with Jodi Cleworth.
The men’s side was made up of Paul van Achterbergh (also in Cali for World Games duty last year), Lee Geeson, Armand Marais and De Morney).
There was also a fifth spot for Van Achterbergh and Lee Geeson in the board rescue while Flanagan and Bilson were sixth in the women’s event.
Mandi Maritz took ninth in the women’s beach sprint.