- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
- Bujela and Prinsloo make the running at Randpark
- South African yacht sails to third spot in Cape2Rio
Modise gets five as Banyana bash Botswana 10-0
- Updated: September 15, 2014
Banyana Banyana’s preparations for the upcoming African Women’s Championships are gathering pace after another impressive display of football.
The Saol-sponsored Banyana thrashed Botswana 10-0 in an international friendly match played at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium in Phokeng, at the weekend.
Veteran striker Portia Modise, who plies her trade for Gauteng Sasol league team Croesus Ladies, scored five goals in the match and her 97th for the South African national team.
Mamello Makhabane got a brace, while Refiloe Jane, Sanah Mollo and Silindile Ngubane also registered their names on the score sheet.
Banyana Banyana dominated most of the first half, forcing Botswana to play in their own half for most parts of the stanza. Makhabane opened the scoring for Vera Pauw’s charges just before the half hour mark with a shot from outside the box.
Minutes later Mollo made up for an earlier miss when she doubled the score for Sasol Banyana Banyana with a tap in past the Botswana keeper.
Jane extended the lead in the 44th minute before Modise made the score 4–0 with minutes left before the half time break.
Sasol Banyana Banyana took-off from where they left off in the second half with substitute Ngubane slotting in the fifth goal minutes into the second half.
The Sasol sponsored women’s national team continued with their rampage over Botswana with Modise scoring three goals, all just minutes apart.
Modise continued with her good form when she scored her 97th goal in the green and gold strip and her fifth of the match.
Makhabane sealed a great win for Pauw ending the match 10–0 for Sasol Banyana Banyana.
Banyana Banyana’s preparations to the African Women’s Championship will continue over the next three weeks before they leave for Namibia.