- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
SA golf duo slip back in YOG action
- Updated: August 25, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
in Nanjing, China
The Zhongshan International golf course saw South Africans Kyle McClatchie and Kaleigh Telfer slip back in day two action of the international team event as the Youth Olympic Games started winding down.
Monday saw four ball action in hot conditions and after Sunday had seen the team lying joint sixth, it was a blue Monday for the two South African youngsters as they slipped to 28th spot with a score of 78, which included a nasty eight on one hole.
Denmark led with a round of 65.
Describing the Gary Player designed course, African Youth Games gold medallist McClatchie said: ‘It’s not really like any South African course I’ve played on but still a typical Gary Player course’.
The week’s action has already seen two holes-in-ones, both on the third hole, from Danish and Canadian golfers.
‘The trees are very close, there are lots of big white bunkers, the greens are big … and there are lots of slopes everywhere. Everything “sits down” here, even on the fairway.’
McClatchie plays out of Serengeti on the East Rand and is a Grade 11 pupil at KES. Telfer, who missed the African Youth Games as she was playing an interprovincial, is in Grade 10 at St Peter’s in Sunninghill.
Tuesday sees the final day of golfing competition when the individual section is staged.
Picture of Kyle McClatchie and Kaleigh Telfer in front of the Zhongshan club house, by Wessel Oosthuizen/SASPA. Pictures of Team South Africa’s campaign at the 2014 Youth Olympics are free for downloading on www.sascocimages.co.za.