- Netball teams set to sparkle in Diamond Challenge
- SA player banned for life for match-fixing
- Anderson’s amazing Paralympic experience has him hungry for more
- World No3 Rory McIlroy to tee off at 2017 SA Open
- Estonia are SA’s first round opponents in 2017 Davis Cup
- Big SA team ready to roll at Road World Championships
- Former KZN schoolboy and a two-time Olympian, Bird is back to his roots
- Van Dyk’s Berlin silver was a painful experience but now it’s next stop Chicago
- World Masters championships approaching final stages
- Cavemen and Bunters capture inaugural PHL titles
How Team SA fared: Day 10
- Updated: August 2, 2014
A look at how those athletes in action on day 10 of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow fared on Saturday:
Men’s 1500m final: Johan Cronje finished fourth in 3:39.65, behind Kenyan James Magut, who won gold in 3:39.31. Cronje was in bronze medal territory until the final two strides when pipped on the line by New Zealand’s Nick Willis.
Men’s triple jump final: Khotso Mokoena won the gold medal with a leap of 17.20m, a season’s best and just 0.05cm off his South African record.
Men’s javelin final: Rocco van Rensburg finished sixth with a throw of 76.84m.
Men’s 4x100m relay final: South Africa’s Akani Simbine flew down the final straight to pull his team through to fourth in 38.35. Jamaica broke the Games record with 37.58, followed by England in 38.02 with Trinidad & Tobago third in 38.10.
Men’s play-off, 5th and 6th place: South Africa beat Canada 7-3 to finish fifth on the table.
Women’s play-off, 3rd and 4th place: South Africa went down 5-2 to New Zealand to finish fourth on the table.
Para Power Lifting
Women’s lightweight, Group A: Competing at the Clyde Auditorium, 28-year-old Northern Cape athlete Chantell Stierman ended fourth in her group with a total weight of 82.4kg. Nigeria’s Esther Oyema won gold with a total of 136kg.