- Dusi contenders gear up at Gladwin Marathon
- Basson’s birdie blitz sees him leading at Leopard Creek
- SA men’s indoor side named to take on All Stars
- Legote takes fifth spot in Brazil meeting
- African cycling will mix it with the very best in 2016
- No place for Horne as Blitzbok side named for Dubai, Cape Town
- SA’s Olympic Games hopefuls jet off on qualifying mission
- Rising young stars join battle for Jackie Mercer Trophy
- Great results for McGregor and SA stars Down Under
- Wayde, Ashleigh are the big winners of 2015 SA Sports Awards
Bowls trips make it gold medal No 10 for Team SA
- Updated: July 31, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
Our para-bowlers once again came to the medal-party here on Thursday as they won another gold medal for Team South Africa.
After Herman Scholtz and Gyndolene Nel had won gold in the Visually Impaired Pairs finals earlier in the Games, it was the turn of the men’s trips to take their place.
And it was the B6/B7/B8 combo of Derrick Lobban, Roger Hagerty and Dion van der Vyver who took Team South Africa’s gold medal tally into double figures just three days before the end of the Games.
They beat New Zealand 13-11 over 15 exhilirating ends of action at Kelvingrove.
Although it was tight all the way, the boys in green and gold managed to keep their noses in front till the very end.
Said para-bowls manager Brian Sneag: ‘We saw some amazingly hard fought bowls of the highest standard today.’
And skipper Lobban was a happy man afterwards. Speaking after emerging from doping control, he said: ‘It’s huge hey, absolutely huge.
‘This is the highest bowls accolade one can get but it was a really tough game.
‘The New Zealand guys contested well and they held us, although we were well up at one stage, I think about 7-1 up after four ends.
‘The last stages were very tight. We were 11-10 up and they were lying one shot and then I managed to remove the white which meant that we didn’t need to go into an extra end.
‘Coming back with gold is just so important. Whenever you are selected for your country there are questions about selections etc and by coming back with gold you just feel like the team have justified their selection.
‘We’re now down with our para-bowls competition but now we’ll throw our weight into supporting our fellow bowlers for the remainder of their competition as well as the other codes that are here for Team South Africa.’
Pictures: Wessel Oosthuizen. For free pictures of all Team SA’s activities at these Commonwealth Games go to www.sascocimages.co.za.