- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
Phathiswa’s royal Games moment!
- Updated: July 24, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
Even if she gets beaten in the very first round, Team South Africa boxer Phathiswa Thingwana has already had her knock-out moment.
She was one of just two SA team-members chosen to have dinner with the queen at the athletes’ village dining area.
Multiple Olympian and Commonwealth Games veteran Roland Schoeman was the other athlete invited.
‘It was very exciting,’ said Thingwana. ‘There were about 100 of us from all the different countries but I think there were more English people.
‘We weren’t able to shake hands with her but she was very, very close, I did actually manage to take a photo of her with my cellphone.
‘I was very surprised to see how short she really is.’
Let it be said though that young Thingwana is most certainly taller than average. Originally from Idutywa in the Eastern Cape, her Commonwealth Games campaign kicks off on Tuesday.
‘I fight in the 69-75kg category and I fight a girl from Canada. We’ve never fought before so we don’t know what to expect at all,’ she said shyly.