- South Africa remembers fallen sports trio
- Brand and Grant keep SA in contention at World Games
- Chad chasing down overall World Cup title
- South Africa take on Turkey in Davis Cup action
- SA trio in golden form in Tokyo World Cup
- Brand makes sure SA team stay in contention in Peru
- Pretorius and Co set records aplenty at nationals
- Lightfoot, Slattery power through in Portugal
- In-form Pace swings to her second title in 10 days
- February to the fore for SA in Peru
Phathiswa’s royal Games moment!
- Updated: July 24, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
Even if she gets beaten in the very first round, Team South Africa boxer Phathiswa Thingwana has already had her knock-out moment.
She was one of just two SA team-members chosen to have dinner with the queen at the athletes’ village dining area.
Multiple Olympian and Commonwealth Games veteran Roland Schoeman was the other athlete invited.
‘It was very exciting,’ said Thingwana. ‘There were about 100 of us from all the different countries but I think there were more English people.
‘We weren’t able to shake hands with her but she was very, very close, I did actually manage to take a photo of her with my cellphone.
‘I was very surprised to see how short she really is.’
Let it be said though that young Thingwana is most certainly taller than average. Originally from Idutywa in the Eastern Cape, her Commonwealth Games campaign kicks off on Tuesday.
‘I fight in the 69-75kg category and I fight a girl from Canada. We’ve never fought before so we don’t know what to expect at all,’ she said shyly.