- Marcia set for Olympic debut as he joins ‘old hands’ Jim and Hudson in Rio
- SA athletes in the medals at Dakar Diamond League
- Bosman’s Comrades hopes depend on her sticking to plan
- SA cyclists bring back three medals from Belgium
- Young Naidoo makes winning Observatory title look ‘Easy’
- Olympian Buys leads six-strong SA side for MTB World Champs
- Dodd leads the chase in Colombia as SA racers line up at world championships
- M4 crew’s Swiss success means SA have five boats qualified for Rio
- SA duo of Simon and Van Zyl book their spots at US Open
- Wostmann can run her way to more SA running records at Comrades
Habana released too late for Games
- Updated: July 22, 2014
Springbok wing legend Bryan Habana will not be drafted into Team South Africa’s Rugby Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games despite being released by his club, Toulon, today.
The Sevens competition will take place in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday, but Habana, capped 97 times by the Springboks, will miss out as he missed the selection deadline. He had been picked in the original Team South Africa squad, but then excluded due to a decision made by the French league.
The Sevens squad plays three matches on Saturday, against Trinidad & Tobago, the Cook Islands and Kenya, before the knockout matches and medal games on Sunday.