- Fischer flies to African Cup victory in Buffalo City
- Skipper Van Wyk on Banyana’s Cup chances
- Olympic athletics ace throws her lot in with SA sevens side
- Prinsloo battles injury, health issues in nationals build-up
- Amajimbos end as runners-up in Niger… now for World Champs in Chile
- Olympians Buys, Neethling on top in PE
- SA wheelchair tennis aces down Morocco
- SA bowlers shine at world championships
- Khwela fronts up to the challenge of Non-Stop Dusi
- Blitzbok women drawn with front-runners New Zealand in Atlanta
Habana released too late for Games
- Updated: July 22, 2014
Springbok wing legend Bryan Habana will not be drafted into Team South Africa’s Rugby Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games despite being released by his club, Toulon, today.
The Sevens competition will take place in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday, but Habana, capped 97 times by the Springboks, will miss out as he missed the selection deadline. He had been picked in the original Team South Africa squad, but then excluded due to a decision made by the French league.
The Sevens squad plays three matches on Saturday, against Trinidad & Tobago, the Cook Islands and Kenya, before the knockout matches and medal games on Sunday.