- Dusi contenders gear up at Gladwin Marathon
- Basson’s birdie blitz sees him leading at Leopard Creek
- SA men’s indoor side named to take on All Stars
- Legote takes fifth spot in Brazil meeting
- African cycling will mix it with the very best in 2016
- No place for Horne as Blitzbok side named for Dubai, Cape Town
- SA’s Olympic Games hopefuls jet off on qualifying mission
- Rising young stars join battle for Jackie Mercer Trophy
- Great results for McGregor and SA stars Down Under
- Wayde, Ashleigh are the big winners of 2015 SA Sports Awards
Habana released too late for Games
- Updated: July 22, 2014
Springbok wing legend Bryan Habana will not be drafted into Team South Africa’s Rugby Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games despite being released by his club, Toulon, today.
The Sevens competition will take place in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday, but Habana, capped 97 times by the Springboks, will miss out as he missed the selection deadline. He had been picked in the original Team South Africa squad, but then excluded due to a decision made by the French league.
The Sevens squad plays three matches on Saturday, against Trinidad & Tobago, the Cook Islands and Kenya, before the knockout matches and medal games on Sunday.