- Superb conditions see young aces shining at Seal Point
- Harding feeling ‘below-par’ with flu but still leads at Simola
- Top seeds tackle each other in Curro Junior ITF 2 final
- Birkett keen on wrapping up his season with the ‘Fish’ as his final event
- South Africa assured of big medal haul at World Masters
- Encouraging form by SA walking duo in China
- Netball teams set to sparkle in Diamond Challenge
- SA player banned for life for match-fixing
- Anderson’s amazing Paralympic experience has him hungry for more
- World No3 Rory McIlroy to tee off at 2017 SA Open
Habana released too late for Games
- Updated: July 22, 2014
Springbok wing legend Bryan Habana will not be drafted into Team South Africa’s Rugby Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games despite being released by his club, Toulon, today.
The Sevens competition will take place in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday, but Habana, capped 97 times by the Springboks, will miss out as he missed the selection deadline. He had been picked in the original Team South Africa squad, but then excluded due to a decision made by the French league.
The Sevens squad plays three matches on Saturday, against Trinidad & Tobago, the Cook Islands and Kenya, before the knockout matches and medal games on Sunday.