- Cronje and other SA aces in Hengelo athletics action
- Hartley fades in final but there’s more SA action on Sunday
- Grain grabs two tries but Lady Blitzboks lose twice
- Jermaine’s double jolts Gabon as Banyana win 3-2
- Hartley cruises into World Cup K1 500m final in Duisburg
- Lady Blitzboks fight back for draw against Fiji
- Top students to fight it out for triathlon honours in France
- Jobodwana knew he was on track for SA record
- SA para-rowers grab gold and silver in Gavirate regatta
- SA team named for BMX World Championships in Belgium
Habana released too late for Games
- Updated: July 22, 2014
Springbok wing legend Bryan Habana will not be drafted into Team South Africa’s Rugby Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games despite being released by his club, Toulon, today.
The Sevens competition will take place in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday, but Habana, capped 97 times by the Springboks, will miss out as he missed the selection deadline. He had been picked in the original Team South Africa squad, but then excluded due to a decision made by the French league.
The Sevens squad plays three matches on Saturday, against Trinidad & Tobago, the Cook Islands and Kenya, before the knockout matches and medal games on Sunday.