- Pienaar at the helm of SA sevens side in Dubai
- Coppinger captures career-best tournament result in Doha
- Pasio pedals her way to leading sporting award
- Sevens Academy squad named for Harare, Dubai
- Sithole, Montjane meet the Mayor ahead of Masters
- Golden victory for Verdi and Johnson
- Silver for Hoffman, copper for SA in China
- Netballers out to defend regional title in Zimbabwe
- Mascots unveiled for 2016 Olympics and Paralympics
- Tennis youngsters courting success at Region 5 Games
Habana released too late for Games
- Updated: July 22, 2014
Springbok wing legend Bryan Habana will not be drafted into Team South Africa’s Rugby Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games despite being released by his club, Toulon, today.
The Sevens competition will take place in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday, but Habana, capped 97 times by the Springboks, will miss out as he missed the selection deadline. He had been picked in the original Team South Africa squad, but then excluded due to a decision made by the French league.
The Sevens squad plays three matches on Saturday, against Trinidad & Tobago, the Cook Islands and Kenya, before the knockout matches and medal games on Sunday.