- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Habana released too late for Games
- Updated: July 22, 2014
Springbok wing legend Bryan Habana will not be drafted into Team South Africa’s Rugby Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games despite being released by his club, Toulon, today.
The Sevens competition will take place in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday, but Habana, capped 97 times by the Springboks, will miss out as he missed the selection deadline. He had been picked in the original Team South Africa squad, but then excluded due to a decision made by the French league.
The Sevens squad plays three matches on Saturday, against Trinidad & Tobago, the Cook Islands and Kenya, before the knockout matches and medal games on Sunday.