- Second for Hamman in Denmark as Fredericks hunts more pace in Sweden
- SA quartet book their places to Rio Paralympics
- Alkana blasts to hurdles gold at African Championships
- Semenya scorches to 1500m gold at African Championships
- Samu faces stern test defending SA Girls Champs title
- Grace is latest SA golfer to say no to Rio Olympics
- SA stars beat the odds to bring in more golden honours at African Championships
- Ace gymnast switches focus to new sport
- SA strike double gold on day one of African Championships in Durban
- SA trio end 21st at World Championships
Habana released too late for Games
- Updated: July 22, 2014
Springbok wing legend Bryan Habana will not be drafted into Team South Africa’s Rugby Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games despite being released by his club, Toulon, today.
The Sevens competition will take place in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday, but Habana, capped 97 times by the Springboks, will miss out as he missed the selection deadline. He had been picked in the original Team South Africa squad, but then excluded due to a decision made by the French league.
The Sevens squad plays three matches on Saturday, against Trinidad & Tobago, the Cook Islands and Kenya, before the knockout matches and medal games on Sunday.