- Viljoen bags bronze in Beijing but Maxwell drops out of marathon
- North West are best at national championships
- Dominant S Gauteng whip WP to take IPT hockey title
- Mundell 33rd in 50km walk as sprint relay dreams shattered
- It’s a repeat of 2014 nationals as North West take on Gauteng
- SA wheelchair basketballers bulldoze NZ Roller Blacks
- S Gauteng and WP contest IPT women’s final
- Viljoen into javelin final with just one big throw in Beijing
- SA’s Piontek must put friendship aside at World Championships
- SA’s top rowers are in France, pulling for places in next year’s Olympics
Habana released too late for Games
- Updated: July 22, 2014
Springbok wing legend Bryan Habana will not be drafted into Team South Africa’s Rugby Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games despite being released by his club, Toulon, today.
The Sevens competition will take place in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday, but Habana, capped 97 times by the Springboks, will miss out as he missed the selection deadline. He had been picked in the original Team South Africa squad, but then excluded due to a decision made by the French league.
The Sevens squad plays three matches on Saturday, against Trinidad & Tobago, the Cook Islands and Kenya, before the knockout matches and medal games on Sunday.