- Semenya still on track for Rio 2016
- World record for Paul as Brown powers on
- Samaai soars to world’s leading leap of 2015 at nationals
- Brown’s golden form continues in Durban
- Top varsity sports stars on show in Western Cape
- Paralympic gold medallist Bouwer calls quits on career
- Rousseau ‘flies’ to World Champs qualifying spot
- Smith ‘boxes’ clever to reach Round Three Down Under
- Incredible Schalk wins key Laureus sports award
- Montjane extra motivated for SA Open success
Habana released too late for Games
- Updated: July 22, 2014
Springbok wing legend Bryan Habana will not be drafted into Team South Africa’s Rugby Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games despite being released by his club, Toulon, today.
The Sevens competition will take place in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday, but Habana, capped 97 times by the Springboks, will miss out as he missed the selection deadline. He had been picked in the original Team South Africa squad, but then excluded due to a decision made by the French league.
The Sevens squad plays three matches on Saturday, against Trinidad & Tobago, the Cook Islands and Kenya, before the knockout matches and medal games on Sunday.