- Du Plessis helps SA to draw against Belgium
- Amajita beat Belarus to reach Commonwealth Cup final
- Oupa’s strike keeps Bafana in the AFCON mix
- Klaasen crashes out of Australian Open in Melbourne
- Hoffman, Matthee ride off with continental scratch titles
- SA women hit four past Chile in Cape Town Test
- Coach Barrow looking beyond France… to Brazil 2016
- Piontek snatches first rankings points on his road to Rio
- Paralympian Roxy leads the way at continental track championships
- Adie hunts down a record fifth Drak Challenge title
Habana released too late for Games
- Updated: July 22, 2014
Springbok wing legend Bryan Habana will not be drafted into Team South Africa’s Rugby Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games despite being released by his club, Toulon, today.
The Sevens competition will take place in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday, but Habana, capped 97 times by the Springboks, will miss out as he missed the selection deadline. He had been picked in the original Team South Africa squad, but then excluded due to a decision made by the French league.
The Sevens squad plays three matches on Saturday, against Trinidad & Tobago, the Cook Islands and Kenya, before the knockout matches and medal games on Sunday.