- Blitzboks join in Springbok Experience celebrations
- Young Benson slips up at World Champs in Spain
- Paralympian Johnson in the prize money in Belgium
- Amajimbos head north on key qualifying campaign
- Olympian De Groot coasts to another title
- Kenyan Kibor takes honours in CT Marathon
- SA lifesavers strike gold in France
- World’s stars hit the road in Cape Town
- IPC Athletics World Championships now a month earlier
- Smith wins Hurley Pro in California to move up rankings
Habana released too late for Games
- Updated: July 22, 2014
Springbok wing legend Bryan Habana will not be drafted into Team South Africa’s Rugby Sevens squad for the Commonwealth Games despite being released by his club, Toulon, today.
The Sevens competition will take place in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday, but Habana, capped 97 times by the Springboks, will miss out as he missed the selection deadline. He had been picked in the original Team South Africa squad, but then excluded due to a decision made by the French league.
The Sevens squad plays three matches on Saturday, against Trinidad & Tobago, the Cook Islands and Kenya, before the knockout matches and medal games on Sunday.