- Continental BMX champs are coming to SA
- Ladies Tour trio close in on LPGA Tour slots
- SA open World Championships campaign against the Swiss
- Banyana skipper’s delight at team’s highest ranking
- Three wins each in France for Cameron and Chad
- SA cyclists look back back at their Olympic experience
- Cape surfers dominate nationals in home waters
- Proteas go down fighting and push Aussies all the way
- Conley’s Rio experience gives her hope for future Olympic success
- SA netballers warm up against NZ A before Quad Series
Ex SA judoka also in action in Glasgow
- Updated: July 21, 2014
They call the Commonwealth Games the ‘friendly games’, a pretty apt description as the judo team boarded the bus after training on Monday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Sitting directly behind the Team SA judoka was a young lady in the all black attire of Team New Zealand.
However her name was all but Kiwi … reading Moira de Villiers.
‘Ek praat nog bietjie Afrikaans,’ said the friendly young judoka.
‘I was born in Pretoria and then moved to Christchurch, New Zealand in 2003,’ she told Road to Rio 2016.
‘I’ve only been back once before, that was in 2005 when I went back to compete at the SA Junior Champs and won gold in the -57kg category.’
She hasn’t been back to South Africa since but did make the trip to London for the 2012 Olympics where she took part in the -70kg category.
‘I lost on penalties to the German girl who took the silver medal,’ she said.
This will be the ‘South African’ Kiwi’s first Commonwealth Games.