- Nel looks to celebrate with a solid showing in Sweden
- SA para-cycling team in World Championships action
- Weber switches focus to team event at world championships
- SA water polo side put their hands up against mighty Hungarians
- Weber also ends 19th in open water 10km at FINA World Champs
- Proteas wilt against powerful Silver Ferns in second Test
- SA judoka grab gold and bronze at African Champs
- Ruby nets again as SA waterpolo side are downed by Australia
- SA look to wrap up Olympic qualifier in Pietermaritzburg
- Ho now targets Portugal as SA women face Aussies in Russia
Ex SA judoka also in action in Glasgow
- Updated: July 21, 2014
They call the Commonwealth Games the ‘friendly games’, a pretty apt description as the judo team boarded the bus after training on Monday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Sitting directly behind the Team SA judoka was a young lady in the all black attire of Team New Zealand.
However her name was all but Kiwi … reading Moira de Villiers.
‘Ek praat nog bietjie Afrikaans,’ said the friendly young judoka.
‘I was born in Pretoria and then moved to Christchurch, New Zealand in 2003,’ she told Road to Rio 2016.
‘I’ve only been back once before, that was in 2005 when I went back to compete at the SA Junior Champs and won gold in the -57kg category.’
She hasn’t been back to South Africa since but did make the trip to London for the 2012 Olympics where she took part in the -70kg category.
‘I lost on penalties to the German girl who took the silver medal,’ she said.
This will be the ‘South African’ Kiwi’s first Commonwealth Games.