- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Games injury scare for wrestler Plaatjies
- Updated: July 20, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
Wrestler Marno Plaatijes has suffered a knee injury in the build-up to the Commonwealth Games.
Plaatjies was in training when he suffered the Grade II medial collateral ligament┬á injury and, after it was first thought the injury could rule him out of his fight, he should now be fit to compete.
The Team SA medical team assessed the injury and said that it would be reviewed after 48 hours. After a MRI scan, there was also relief that the anterior cruciate ligament appeared to have escaped damage.
Said manager Nico Coetzee: ‘These things happen. It took place during a fight simulation but it sounds like he’ll be able to compete. We’re hoping so, because he is a real medal contender.’
The Cape Town wrestler told Road to Rio 2016: ‘It happened out of nowhere but it was pretty painful. This is the first time in my life that I’ve ever had to get around on crutches.’
Plaatjies is due to compete on 30 July.