- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Beckett cleans up before Games
- Updated: July 14, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
The national gymnastics championships were done and dusted in Klerksdorp at the weekend and artistic ace Kirsten Beckett is cock-a-hoop ahead of the Commonwealth Games in Scotland next week.
Beckett, part of Team South Africa at the last Commonwealth Youth Games in the Isle of Man, three years ago cleaned up at the championships.
She picked up gold overall, a further three gold on vault, floor and bar and a solitary silver on beam.
“Nationals went well,” she told Road to Rio 2016, if ever there was an understatement.
“Still, there’s definitely room for improvement and nationals was great practice for the Commonwealth Games.”
Beckett is one of three artistic gymnasts, Claudia Cummins and Bianca Mann being the others. “I think we are all ready and well prepared,” said Beckett.
“My all around total was 52.7… I didn’t compete all my difficulty on the first day but went full out on the second day.
“I’m so excited for the Commonwealth Games and just can’t wait.”
Beckett leaves for the Games next Monday. At the first day of the three-day holding camp on Monday were rhythmic gymnasts Grace Legote and sisters Aimee and Julene Van Rooyen.