- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
SASCOC mourns death of young wrestler
- Updated: July 7, 2014
SASCOC on Monday mourns the loss of wrestler Fabian Rassie who has passed away during a competition.
A representative of the Boland provincial side, Rassie was taking part in the SA Cadet and Senior Greco Championships in Pretoria when he collapsed with a suspected heart attack.
Rassie was just 16 years of age at the time of his passing.
Said SASCOC President Gideon Sam: “It is with heavy hearts that we mourn the passing of Fabian, especially at so young an age. Wrestling is one of the oldest sports on the global sports scene and particularly close to our hearts as we prepare for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland later this month where Team South Africa will be well represented in the wrestling code. Our hearts go out to his family, friends and the entire wrestling community.
Added SASCOC Chief Executive Officer Tubby Reddy: “Fabian’s passing at such a young age is nothing short of a tragedy. His whole sporting career lay ahead of him. May he rest in peace and our thoughts are with him and his family during these extremely sad times.”
An autopsy will be held on Monday to determine the exact cause of death.