- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
Silver for Fredericks, as Olivier also impresses
- Updated: July 6, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
Commonwealth Games athletes Cornel Fredericks and Andre Olivier were both in Diamond League action on Saturday night.
And there were more solid performances from both at the Meeting Areva in Paris, France.
Fredericks picked up silver in the 400-metre hurdles event.
Gold went to American Michael Tinley in 48.25 with Fredericks, who lined up lane three, second in 48.42, just dipping Puerto Rico’s Javier Culson at the line. It was also Frederick’s best time of the year.
In the 800m it was Oliver who was just out of the mix in the final straight as Asbel Kiprop won in 1:43.34 from Botswana’s Nijel Amos (1:43.70).
A quick first lap of 49.90 saw Olivier part of the main bunch but he lost touch before the final bend after some bumping and shoving and ended sixth in 1:44.42.
Still, that time was his fastest for the year and not a whole lot off the personal best 1:44.29 he ran in Monaco two years ago.
The Potchefstroom athlete will no doubt take heart from this in the run-in to Glasgow 2014 as this was also his first race in around a month as he has been putting in the hard yards on the training track.