- SA netballers take on top rivals from Down Under
- Double world champion Hank is back home in SA
- Transplant stars head for the Western Cape
- Pauw picks Banyana squad to tackle African Women’s Championships
- More gold for Le Clos while Schoenmaker secures bronze
- SA riders make history at World Equestrian Games
- New-look Proteas side ready for Namibian action
- Sanders seals season with sixth spot in Turkey
- UJ bring UWC’s Champions Cup reign to an end
- Gold for Le Clos, bronze for Shankland, Schoenmaker in Hong Kong
Another milestone for flying Van Niekerk
- Updated: July 4, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
It just gets better and better for Commonwealth Games bound Wayde van Niekerk.
The youngster set a new South African 400-metre record in New York last month and on Thursday he ran a personal best for the 200m sprint event.
Van Niekerk was taking place in the Athletissima Diamond League meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Panama’s Alonso Edward won in 19.84 and Van Niekerk blitzed his way to a new PB of 20.19.
“It went well thanks,” he told Road to Rio 2016 after his race. “Now the body is a bit tired but I’ll be chatting to the coach for a lighter week of training. I need some rest…”
Other South Africans in action were 400m hurdles duo Cornel Hendricks and LJ van Zyl.
Fredericks won this battle of the SA duo with third spot in 49.00 as Puerto Rico’s Javier Culsom won in 48.32 from Michael Tinsley (US) who clocked 48.40.
Van Zyl was fifth in 49.23.
In the field events it was reigning Commonwealth champion Sunette Viljoen in the javelin.
She took fifth spot with a 62.15 effort as Olympic legend Barbora Spotakova won in 66.72. “I’m going to keep on fighting in the front lines. The best is still coming and I can’t wait. R.O.A.R!”
Of her prospective Commonwealth opponents Aussie Kimberley Mickle ended third with 64.20.
Khotso Mokoena was absent from action with no mark as American Jeff Henderson won the long jump in 8.31.
Best of the Commonwealth athletes was Olympic champion Greg Rutherford in 8.19