- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
Another milestone for flying Van Niekerk
- Updated: July 4, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
It just gets better and better for Commonwealth Games bound Wayde van Niekerk.
The youngster set a new South African 400-metre record in New York last month and on Thursday he ran a personal best for the 200m sprint event.
Van Niekerk was taking place in the Athletissima Diamond League meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Panama’s Alonso Edward won in 19.84 and Van Niekerk blitzed his way to a new PB of 20.19.
“It went well thanks,” he told Road to Rio 2016 after his race. “Now the body is a bit tired but I’ll be chatting to the coach for a lighter week of training. I need some rest…”
Other South Africans in action were 400m hurdles duo Cornel Hendricks and LJ van Zyl.
Fredericks won this battle of the SA duo with third spot in 49.00 as Puerto Rico’s Javier Culsom won in 48.32 from Michael Tinsley (US) who clocked 48.40.
Van Zyl was fifth in 49.23.
In the field events it was reigning Commonwealth champion Sunette Viljoen in the javelin.
She took fifth spot with a 62.15 effort as Olympic legend Barbora Spotakova won in 66.72. “I’m going to keep on fighting in the front lines. The best is still coming and I can’t wait. R.O.A.R!”
Of her prospective Commonwealth opponents Aussie Kimberley Mickle ended third with 64.20.
Khotso Mokoena was absent from action with no mark as American Jeff Henderson won the long jump in 8.31.
Best of the Commonwealth athletes was Olympic champion Greg Rutherford in 8.19