- Team SA’s daily Commonwealth Games update
- SA badminton team take on Norfolk Island in opener
- Habana released too late for Games
- Strauss heads for Games with another title in the bag
- Delegates impressed by Durban’s 2022 CWG presentation
- She’s young but ‘old hand’ Botha is gunning for medals
- Le Clos to win four golds, Schoeman one, say bookies
- Men’s hockey side draw Games warm-up match
- Ex SA judoka also in action in Glasgow
- Judoka await draw as Games draw closer
Brits ruled out of Commonwealth Games squad
- Updated: July 3, 2014
Schalk Brits will play no part in South Africa’s bid for gold at the Commonwealth Games in Scotland later this month, reports SA Rugby magazine.
Having originally been drafted into the South African Sevens squad for the games, the governing body of the English Premiership has moved to prevent him from competing.
Saracens, where Brits plays his club rugby, were happy to release the hooker for the duration of the tournament, but they have been overruled by the governing body, who has the final say in such cases.
‘The Commonwealth Games are not included in Regulation 9 of the International Rugby Board [IRB] and the Premiership clubs may only release their overseas players for tournaments stipulated in it [the IRB regulation],’ a spokesperson for Premiership Rugby told Die Burger.
Uncertainty remains over whether Springbok wing Bryan Habana will be eligible for selection. His club Toulon were also accommodating of the request for his services, but again the final decision will lie with the French Top 14.
A replacement for Brits has yet to be announced.
SA Sevens squad – Chris Dry, Frankie Horne, Kyle Brown, Branco du Preez, Cheslin Kolbe, Justin Geduld, Cecil Afrika, Bryan Habana, Seabelo Senatla, Cornal Hendricks, Warren Whiteley.
Photo: David Rogers/Getty Images