- Brave Blitzboks’ Hong Kong hoodoo continues
- Mokoka best of the SA athletes in China
- Blitzboks end Pool stages unbeaten in Hong Kong
- Blitzboks keep clean sheet with victory against Argentine
- Bianca masters the bars for sixth spot in Doha
- Shange, Mundell make great strides for SA walking
- SA golfers on the back foot in Argentina as Ireland make the pace
- SA quartet in World Championships track action
- SA’s top runners set to fight it out at SPAR Challenge
- Another World Championships comes to Pietermaritzburg
Brits ruled out of Commonwealth Games squad
- Updated: July 3, 2014
Schalk Brits will play no part in South Africa’s bid for gold at the Commonwealth Games in Scotland later this month, reports SA Rugby magazine.
Having originally been drafted into the South African Sevens squad for the games, the governing body of the English Premiership has moved to prevent him from competing.
Saracens, where Brits plays his club rugby, were happy to release the hooker for the duration of the tournament, but they have been overruled by the governing body, who has the final say in such cases.
‘The Commonwealth Games are not included in Regulation┬á9 of the International Rugby Board [IRB] and the Premiership clubs may only release their overseas players for tournaments stipulated in it [the IRB regulation],’ a spokesperson for Premiership Rugby told Die Burger.
Uncertainty remains over whether Springbok wing Bryan Habana will be eligible for selection. His club Toulon were also accommodating of the request for his services, but again the final decision will lie with the French Top 14.
A replacement for Brits has yet to be announced.
SA Sevens squad ÔÇô┬áChris Dry, Frankie Horne, Kyle Brown, Branco du Preez, Cheslin Kolbe, Justin Geduld, Cecil Afrika, Bryan Habana, Seabelo Senatla, Cornal Hendricks, Warren Whiteley.
Photo: David Rogers/Getty Images