- Second for Hamman in Denmark as Fredericks hunts more pace in Sweden
- SA quartet book their places to Rio Paralympics
- Alkana blasts to hurdles gold at African Championships
- Semenya scorches to 1500m gold at African Championships
- Samu faces stern test defending SA Girls Champs title
- Grace is latest SA golfer to say no to Rio Olympics
- SA stars beat the odds to bring in more golden honours at African Championships
- Ace gymnast switches focus to new sport
- SA strike double gold on day one of African Championships in Durban
- SA trio end 21st at World Championships
Brits ruled out of Commonwealth Games squad
- Updated: July 3, 2014
Schalk Brits will play no part in South Africa’s bid for gold at the Commonwealth Games in Scotland later this month, reports SA Rugby magazine.
Having originally been drafted into the South African Sevens squad for the games, the governing body of the English Premiership has moved to prevent him from competing.
Saracens, where Brits plays his club rugby, were happy to release the hooker for the duration of the tournament, but they have been overruled by the governing body, who has the final say in such cases.
‘The Commonwealth Games are not included in Regulation┬á9 of the International Rugby Board [IRB] and the Premiership clubs may only release their overseas players for tournaments stipulated in it [the IRB regulation],’ a spokesperson for Premiership Rugby told Die Burger.
Uncertainty remains over whether Springbok wing Bryan Habana will be eligible for selection. His club Toulon were also accommodating of the request for his services, but again the final decision will lie with the French Top 14.
A replacement for Brits has yet to be announced.
SA Sevens squad ÔÇô┬áChris Dry, Frankie Horne, Kyle Brown, Branco du Preez, Cheslin Kolbe, Justin Geduld, Cecil Afrika, Bryan Habana, Seabelo Senatla, Cornal Hendricks, Warren Whiteley.
Photo: David Rogers/Getty Images