- Four SA riders are ready to roll in TDF
- Ultra-marathon ace Caroline may target Rio 2016
- Buziba and Co are ready to race N.A.G Series in PMB
- Van Zyl flies SA flag at Ballito tournament
- Venter beaten but Els and Dlamini march on in Pretoria
- SA rowers look to pull out all the stops at Henley Regatta
- Exciting times for boxing with SA-Botswana agreement
- Sprint ace Hayes focuses on form as Doha draws closer
- Second spot for Johnson and Verdi in Belgium
- Murray bags back to back Bundesliga titles
Brits ruled out of Commonwealth Games squad
- Updated: July 3, 2014
Schalk Brits will play no part in South Africa’s bid for gold at the Commonwealth Games in Scotland later this month, reports SA Rugby magazine.
Having originally been drafted into the South African Sevens squad for the games, the governing body of the English Premiership has moved to prevent him from competing.
Saracens, where Brits plays his club rugby, were happy to release the hooker for the duration of the tournament, but they have been overruled by the governing body, who has the final say in such cases.
‘The Commonwealth Games are not included in Regulation┬á9 of the International Rugby Board [IRB] and the Premiership clubs may only release their overseas players for tournaments stipulated in it [the IRB regulation],’ a spokesperson for Premiership Rugby told Die Burger.
Uncertainty remains over whether Springbok wing Bryan Habana will be eligible for selection. His club Toulon were also accommodating of the request for his services, but again the final decision will lie with the French Top 14.
A replacement for Brits has yet to be announced.
SA Sevens squad ÔÇô┬áChris Dry, Frankie Horne, Kyle Brown, Branco du Preez, Cheslin Kolbe, Justin Geduld, Cecil Afrika, Bryan Habana, Seabelo Senatla, Cornal Hendricks, Warren Whiteley.
Photo: David Rogers/Getty Images