- Johnson and Verdi end 2014 on a high note
- Dutch and Czech teams seal volleyball victories in Mangaung
- Blitzboks top standings after another Cup win
- Team SA end Region 5 Games campaign in style
- Unbeaten Blitzboks take on England in Cup quarters
- Swimmers wind up Games campaign after winning 57 medals
- Athletes win six more medals for SA as Games wind down
- More medals roll in for SA from swimming, athletics at Games
- All the latest from the FIVB Mangaung Open
- Six of the best as football girls grab Games gold for SA
Cyclist Impey tests positive for banned substance
- Updated: July 2, 2014
London Olympian cyclist Daryl Impey has tested positive for a banned substance after a test earlier this year.
Impey, who rides for the Orica-GreenEdge team, tested positive for Probenecid at an in-competition test at the national time trial championships in February.
The South African road cyclist was the first African to wear the yellow jersey at the Tour de France in 2013.
He released the following statement on his personal website on Wednesday:
“Further to the announcement of the Tour de France team and in the interests of full disclosure, I confirm that on 23 June 2014, I was notified by William Newman, the President of Cycling South Africa, about an adverse analytical finding for Probenecid following an in-competition test at the national time trial championships on 6 February 2014.
“I had no knowledge of Probenecid nor have I ever taken the substance knowingly in any manner. I am committed to drug-free sport and fully intend to take all steps necessary to clear myself of any suspicion.
“The notification came as a complete shock to me just days before the start of the Tour de France, particularly since anti-doping tests conducted on me on 8┬áand 9 February 2014 yielded no adverse results.
“I immediately flew back to South Africa and was present at the analysis of my B┬ásample on 27┬áJune 2014, the results of which confirmed the initial analysis.
“I am extremely distressed by the finding, as I have always raced clean throughout my career.┬á Every result that I have achieved to date has been as a result of hard work and dedication on my part.
I notified my team immediately after being informed by Cycling South Africa of the adverse finding. I would like to thank them, my family and friends for their support during this difficult time. I remain confident that I will be vindicated and proved innocent of any wrongdoing.”
Probenecid is described as an uricosuric drug primarily used in treating the conditions of gout and hyperuricemia.