- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
Springbok aces Habana, Brits doubtful for Commonwealth Games
- Updated: July 1, 2014
Our national Sevens team’s hopes of winning a medal at the Commonwealth Sevens could well have been given a blow if indications that Springbok XV’s stars Bryan Habana and Schalk Brits may have to be forced to withdraw by their respective leagues.
While both Brits’ Saracens club and Habana’s Toulon club have given them the go-ahead to be selected for the Games, according to SuperSport.com it seems now that the Premiership and Top14 may well order both to withdraw as the Games falls within the prescribed off period for European rugby.
As both leagues stipulate a strict four week rest period for players during the off season, it is unlikely they will change their minds and Blitzbok coach Neil Powell may well be forced to look elsewhere to bolster his team.
The duo were named last month as part of Team South Africa’s list of competitors for the games as Powell named a dream team that included 15-man code star Cornal Hendricks, Lions captain Warren Whiteley and Province speedster Cheslin Kolbe.
SASCOC CEO Tubby Reddy has said he has received no documentation to say either player had pulled out, while the South African Rugby Union have referred requests to SASCOC as the Sevens team falls under their umbrella for the Games.
Saracens CEO Eward Griffiths said ÔÇ£we are talking to SA RugbyÔÇØ when approached for clarification while Toulon have not answered enquiries on the matter.
Both Bok stars have set their sights on going to the Commonwealth Games to add another chapter in their impressive rugby careers thus far, and want to represent South Africa in the Olympic Games in 2016.
A ruling on the two is expected soon.