- Swiss experience helps Beyers take two track titles
- SA’s developing sailors to battle it out in historic regatta
- Triple boost for Dazel’s women’s sevens side
- SA stars on track for national championships
- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
Banyana Banyana adapt plans for Botswana
- Updated: June 5, 2014
Sasol Banyana Banyana’s preparations are in full swing ahead of Saturday’s friendly international women’s football match against Botswana.
The clash will take place at the Vaal University of Technology Stadium and kick-off is scheduled for 3pm.
The South Africans are using the match as part of their preparations for the upcoming 2014 African Women’s Championships that will be held in Namibia from 11-25 October.
The team started their camp on Sunday, 1 June.
ÔÇ£It is unfortunate that Comoros withdrew from the second leg, but I am grateful that everyone at SAFA and Sasol reacted quickly and worked hard for us to get a match against Botswana. We have more friendly matches lined up against stronger opponents to ensure that we get the team ready for the African Women’s Championships,ÔÇØ said head coach Vera Pauw.
Pauw has invited strikers Kgadi Mokoma and Chantelle Esau from Sasol League triple national champions Palace Super Falcons from Gauteng and Mpumi Nyandeni from Russia to be part of the team for the match.
ÔÇ£We have had a look at a lot of players and with 144 teams participating in the Sasol League, the reality is that we cannot invite everyone. The group we have now is the core of the team and we believe that they are capable of doing a great job, starting with the match against Botswana on Saturday,ÔÇØ added Pauw.
Botswana are expected to arrive in South Africa on Thursday and will have a training session at the match venue on Friday.